Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally ready to purchase the crate engine and transmission for my 69 Fastback. I've decided to go with the Keith Craft 408.

Craft Performance Engines | Arkadelphia, AR | 870-246-7460 | Made in the USA!!

My car currently has a stock drive chain from the old tired 302, c4 to the rear end. The rear was rebuilt last year but I know it will have trouble handling the 408's power. I'm planning on replacing all eventually. First the engine and trans and then shortly the rear. I'm planning on the PA26103 c4...

Performance Automatic

What else do I need to consider going to the 408 and not staying with the 331/347 that Keith Craft offers? If I'm planning on replacing all the drive chain anyway should I just go big? Any other costs like motor mounts etc that I am probably not thinking of for the swap? What would you recommend as far as other trans, rear gears etc to go behind this 408?

I'm having a local shop that a few recommended to do the work here in Houston. I just wanted to get some of you guys opinions before hitting the "buy now" button on this.

·
Registered
776 Posts
well, going from a 302, to a 351w youll need a new mounting bracket if you have factory power steering. I cant remember if youll need brackets for the alternator or not, its been a few years since I did my swap. here's my suggestion based off my experience going from a 302 to 351w. if you're planning on driving the car any distances (being from TX you will be) swap to a 4r70w trans or a tremec 5 speed. that 3 speed trans is pretty high dollar. I got a 4r70w trans for $150, had it rebuilt with some mildly better parts for around $800, and the trans controller for a few hundred. you'll have overdrive which is great for cruising and if you don't want it, rig up on OD off switch like I did so youll only have 3 gears. keep your rear end till you drive it to see how you want to change things or till it breaks.

I have an 8" with 3.80 rears and while its nice, id go for something in the 350 range, maybe 325's. first gear is pointless and with the speeds in TX being 75 on most highways, and 85 around SA and Austin, the 325's would be a little better.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, going from a 302, to a 351w youll need a new mounting bracket if you have factory power steering. I cant remember if youll need brackets for the alternator or not, its been a few years since I did my swap. here's my suggestion based off my experience going from a 302 to 351w. if you're planning on driving the car any distances (being from TX you will be) swap to a 4r70w trans or a tremec 5 speed. that 3 speed trans is pretty high dollar. I got a 4r70w trans for $150, had it rebuilt with some mildly better parts for around $800, and the trans controller for a few hundred. you'll have overdrive which is great for cruising and if you don't want it, rig up on OD off switch like I did so youll only have 3 gears. keep your rear end till you drive it to see how you want to change things or till it breaks.

I have an 8" with 3.80 rears and while its nice, id go for something in the 350 range, maybe 325's. first gear is pointless and with the speeds in TX being 75 on most highways, and 85 around SA and Austin, the 325's would be a little better.
There is no power steering so I should be good with that. I didn't think if it may need a trans cooler. I've thought about maybe doing an overdrive trans. I'm just really familiar with C4 ones as having had to work on it a few times. I forgot to mention my current rear is a 2.79. I'll check out the 4r70w and see. Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would use Broader Performance for your Trans. He is located in Texas. I have his c-4 in my Falcon and it can take a beating. Jay is hands down the best builder especially with the c-4. I would give him a call. https://www.broaderperformance.com/9-ford-c4-
Thanks for the recommendation! I've heard them a few times on here. I would like to support a local Texas business if possible!

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Not overly impressed with the parts in that 408 - Chinese heads, hypereutectic pistons and what looks like a bunch of stock replacement type parts - meh.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not overly impressed with the parts in that 408 - Chinese heads, hypereutectic pistons and what looks like a bunch of stock replacement type parts - meh.
I see your point. I would love to buy a nice short block and build it with high end stuff by myself but I have no experience with engine building. I don’t think I can trust any engine builders here in Houston yet. Can anyone recommend any here in Houston Texas?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Competition products has some very good short&long blocks from ATK motors for good prices. Might be worth a look into

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm finally ready to purchase the crate engine and transmission for my 69 Fastback. I've decided to go with the Keith Craft 408.

My car currently has a stock drive chain from the old tired 302, c4 to the rear end. The rear was rebuilt last year but I know it will have trouble handling the 408's power. I'm planning on replacing all eventually. First the engine and trans and then shortly the rear. I'm planning on the PA26103 c4...

Performance Automatic

What else do I need to consider going to the 408 and not staying with the 331/347 that Keith Craft offers? If I'm planning on replacing all the drive chain anyway should I just go big? Any other costs like motor mounts etc that I am probably not thinking of for the swap? What would you recommend as far as other trans, rear gears etc to go behind this 408?

I'm having a local shop that a few recommended to do the work here in Houston. I just wanted to get some of you guys opinions before hitting the "buy now" button on this.
I've got a 408 in my ride, lemme know when you wanna go for a ride so you can get an idea what it's like.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I haven't heard much about KC lately but in the past they've had a good reputation in the cobra kit car world.

I'd say if you are thinking of a 408, get a 408. Cubes = torque. Might need a better exhaust system, posi, tires.

Gears depend on where you drive, street or highway

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
KC short blocks list the same Mahle Forged pistons that I ended up with. The hypereutectic pistons and Chinese heads on this crate motor have me thinking it's being built for the kit car crowd who never intend to actually use the motor. Keith Craft has/had a good reputation for several years and I think the OP should contact them directly to get a quote on a "real" motor he can beat the piss out of if that's what he intends to do.

·
Registered
678 Posts
"it's being built for the kit car crowd who never intend to actually use the motor"
What makes you think kit car builders settle for crappy crate motors?

Most of the Factory Five guys I knew did auto-x, drag racing, and road racing, motorsport activities that most Mustang owners on this forum will never do. I would just like to know where this comment came from?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Performance Automatic

I've got a 408 in my ride, lemme know when you wanna go for a ride so you can get an idea what it's like.
Haha tempting! Where you at in Houston? Any shops you recommend? Houston is too damn big.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m considering maybe getting a long block from Coast High Performance. Not sure which yet. Their long blocks seem to have better parts than the Keith Craft Crate I was looking at.

What all else would I need for the long block? Would someone like me with no engine building experience be able to handle finishing it off and doing the swap?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Look at All American Racing Engines in New Caney. Guy named Stacey owns it. He and his dad have built and raced Ford motors he knows Fords better than anyone in the area. I know he has a Facebook page. He’s done some work for me and he’s great

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
HP = HEAT may need upgraded cooling. better fan? better radiator? IF a stall maybe better trans cooling? IF all new, may consider Evans waterless in Texas.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Look at All American Racing Engines in New Caney. Guy named Stacey owns it. He and his dad have built and raced Ford motors he knows Fords better than anyone in the area. I know he has a Facebook page. He’s done some work for me and he’s great
Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll check them out.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts