Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

Registered
I don鈥檛 plan on taking it to the strip or anything similar but I would love it to handle anything I want it to 馃檪
You have to decide what you want the car to do, and how you want to drive it.
For example; There is nothing wrong with a high HP number @ 7000 rpm, but unless you are going to the drag strip regularly, it isn't something you use while street driving that much. It is a number that you can talk about/brag about though.

The opposite of that would be a motor built like a truck motor. Gobs of torque down low, but dies out quickly as the rpm climbs. Great for trucks, RV's and tow vehicles.

Do you care about street manners, idle /stopping at traffic lights? Are you going to want to run power steering a/c? Reliability?

Are you going to scale the motor up in the future? ie look for more power, or not?

Where do you plan on driving? Racing only, pub burner, cruiser, road trips? Is fuel economy remotely important?

Not saying a crate engine won't do those things, but a good engine builder can help you choose and build what's right for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
Problems with KB pistons are a measurement/machining/assembly problem. Period.
I鈥檓 planning on going with a better crate now from Keith Craft that have the Mahle Forged pistons and Brodix heads. I just have to save more now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #44
I don鈥檛 plan on taking it to the strip or anything similar but I would love it to handle anything I want it to 馃檪
You have to decide what you want the car to do, and how you want to drive it.
For example; There is nothing wrong with a high HP number @ 7000 rpm, but unless you are going to the drag strip regularly, it isn't something you use while street driving that much. It is a number that you can talk about/brag about though.

The opposite of that would be a motor built like a truck motor. Gobs of torque down low, but dies out quickly as the rpm climbs. Great for trucks, RV's and tow vehicles.

Do you care about street manners, idle /stopping at traffic lights? Are you going to want to run power steering a/c? Reliability?

Are you going to scale the motor up in the future? ie look for more power, or not?

Where do you plan on driving? Racing only, pub burner, cruiser, road trips? Is fuel economy remotely important?

Not saying a crate engine won't do those things, but a good engine builder can help you choose and build what's right for you.
I want a car that will be fun to drive around town. Very spirited driving after the red light turns green. I won鈥檛 be doing any long distance driving, road trips or care about fuel economy. I鈥檓 sure I will be fine with that power and won鈥檛 be trying to scale up the numbers more.

Just a fun car to take out on the weekend or drive to a car show if it鈥檚 not too far away. I do want reliability and driveability. Not a drag car but lots of power. I don鈥檛 care about having AC but I might do power steering down the road maybe.

What do you think of this one? Does it fit what I want or is it too much for my needs?
https://www.craftperformanceengines.com/crate7.html

Registered
Why look for a builder just in Houston? I used ZSR Engines in mine and am really pleased. Zach built up a solid short block that I topped with AFR205's that is a monster. He did a custom cam grind and built the engine to match my wants along with tire size, trans, and gearing.

I do not know what it makes to the tires but I have 0 issues breaking them loose in any gear and it's flat out FUN! I have a tremec 5 speed, 3.70 tru trac 9", 275-40/17 rear tires in a 66 mustang.
+1!!!!!!
Zach is another GREAT Ford engine builder . Smart and honest , he has your best interest at heart NOT his wallet. His engines are very powerful for the cost.
Randy

Registered
There are parts opportunities here in Southern California that aren't available ( obviously) in more rural areas for sure. If a guy isn't in a hurry , an economical engine "can" be built.

Registered
Houston engine and balancing just built my 381 Cleveland.
It took them a while, but a 10:3/1 with a moderate cam just made 513 on factory 4v heads that have been ported a bunch.

I鈥檓 trying to figure out an oil leak right now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Houston engine and balancing just built my 381 Cleveland.
It took them a while, but a 10:3/1 with a moderate cam just made 513 on factory 4v heads that have been ported a bunch.

I鈥檓 trying to figure out an oil leak right now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds great, congrats!!

Registered
I purchased my 347 from Ford racing. comes with a aluminum boss block. low end torque and hp with 2 year warrenty

Registered
I purchased my 347 from Ford racing. comes with a aluminum boss block. low end torque and hp with 2 year warrenty
what is their website?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts