Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I meant to ask you about your gear change.

Was the bang worth the buck?
Would you do the change again?
Would you change ratios if you did it over? If so, what ratio would you do?
How was the vendor you bought the parts from?

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Just because I know this will be read by a few of the others, I'll expand on this.( cause I know there will be people "Popping" off) :p
I had an 8" 2.79 open rear end...Since I've built the rest of car with more of a "Trans Am" type theme/feel...built it primarily around "handling" rather than "straight line go
fast" if you will.
With this in mind, knowing that I'll probably never go quite as exotic as a "stroker" motor with all that low end grunt/torque. I decided to stick with the 8" rearend. With the research I've done, the 8" will handle 350-400 ponies if its managed horses. Since I'm leaning towards a Super charger...I'll have the horses, just not all that low end torque.
So much for the background on "why"...

I picked up a 3rd member from an outfit in Frisco. I choose to go with the 3.25's with Trac loc- Moog gears. They charged me $550 deliverd to my door.

With the 2.79 I was running about 2800-2900 RPM's at 60 Mph. I'm now running about 3100......I honestly don't really feel that much difference off the line. That maybe due to the trac lok? Before I got some wheelspin which jumped some RPM right away. With the Trac Lok it "hooks up" right away...so I get a little bog.( obviously little more Hp would solve this)
But from about 15-20 MPH on....there's a difference! Really gave it some "snap" factor...the gears along with the Trans go shift kit that I installed....lets just say "Amy's not a fan" :: I can really "Jerk" her head! (don't go there Brian! :p)
As far as any Gas mileage change.....as you all know,there isn't a lot of freeway driving involved over here. So I haven't really noticed anything there? Nor does the differance in losing any top end a factor (3.25 vs 3.00)
Was the bang worth the buck? I think Its kind of a push thing....At $550 it was worth it...If I'd have paid Mustangs Plus a $1000 for theirs....then probably not.
The only real down side I have...is I've got a "whine". So they've got it "off" just a hair. Can only hear it when I'm stopping at a sign...at low idle.(but its there) And of course by doing the distant vender vs. someone local I've got to pull it out and send it back... Which is a hassle but there was "no" question or battle involved with getting it taken care of.
So rather than pulling it out now and losing a couple of weeks driving. I'm waiting till the latter part of September to pull it.
Maybe I'm doing all this backwards...Maybe I should have done the motor then built the drivetrain...instead of drivetrain then motor? Oh well, gives me a little more "kick" till I can put out the "Big" bucks....:: ::

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
"Amy's not a fan" I can really "Jerk" her head! (don't go there Brian! :p )
I'm feeling like I've developed a bit of a reputation around here. ::
Don't worry..no joke here, never know when "SWMBO" will log in! ;)

Sounds like a good upgrade...did you get the whole smack for $550 or just the pumpkin? I may want to go that route in the future. I might have gone with a bit lower gears though...3.73 are pretty nice with an auto.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I'm feeling like I've developed a bit of a reputation around here
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Good one, Brian :: :: ::

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the detailed response, Ken. It helps me a lot.

I had an 8" 2.79 open rear end... built it primarily around "handling" rather than "straight line go
Me too

But from about 15-20 MPH on....there's a difference! Really gave it some "snap" factor...the gears along with the Trans go shift kit that I installed....
I'm interested in pull from 20-60 mph for corners/hills etc, so this is encouraging. Windy road driving is what I love to do the most.

I can really "Jerk" her head! (don't go there Brian! )
I won't go there either :eek: ::

As far as any Gas mileage change....
Not too worried about that. I just pour gas in and drive ::

And of course by doing the distant vender vs. someone local I've got to pull it out and send it back...
Hmmm... more reason to go local, I guess. But that's a pretty attractive price that you paid.

I'm waiting till the latter part of September to pull it.
I thought you had a big show coming in Sept or Oct. Wings and Wheels, or Birds and Bad A$$ cars or something. Is that early Sept?

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure whatever reputation you have is well deserved ::

3.73's with a C4? That seems pretty steep to me. I'd think you'd go mental after a very short peroiod on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
The price was for the 3rd member (pumpkin only). I agree with keith...I think the 3.73's would really be "overkill"! If I have it figured right you'd be pushing 3800-4000 rpm's at 60 mph. Kinda tough on a semi stock motor...and in your case with some 70 mph freeway driving???? I did at one point consider going with 3.50's but I didn't really want to give up drive-ability. I too with the "Vert" like the occational casual cruise...rapped up pipes tend to devert from the purpose/pleasure... :eek:
And I did mention you "will" notice a difference in pipe pitch? :: ::

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Hmmm...I don't remember ever pulling over 3500 on the freeway in my old car. But, it had really big tires too, 295/50. ::

But you're right...it was much more a straight line kind of car.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Was your "old" car C-4 equiped or AOD? I understand with AOD you have alot more "room" to play..... C-4 your pretty limited.....

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3.73's in my truck work pretty good with the overdrive. Really nice when I lock out the overdrive for non-freeway driving. But I woulndn't even consider that steep gear for my stang unless I had an AOD or T5.

Rapped up pipes are part of the pleasure, not necessarily a distraction for me. Of course, I think I'm half deaf from too much metal music in my youth :: I like the sound of it when it's spinning a little faster anyway ::

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The noise does get old after a while. I am using my 66 as a daily driver, but am putting in a T5 and (I hope) a 3.55 trac-lock. 4grand at 70mph is great for passing, but it seems to need another gear...
Who'd you suggest getting a rear gear from (I want rebuilt, but would consider a good used unit)? And, who has the better T5 conversion kit (with orig bell housing) out there in your opinions?
Daniel

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Daniel....not sure on the T-5 conversion? Might post that on the main board...more opinions there.
The Guy I got my gears from is called R-Mustangs. Guys name is Rick. He offers Rebuilt units with new gears. used setups that he relines etc. and used as-is stuff. you can give him a call at 415-641-7669.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
By the way, on that "Wings and Wheels" festival...It's beginning to sound like its going to be a bigger deal than I thought. There's now a Harley Parade involved...The Local Ford dealership is putting up a $3500 Ford motorsport Crate motor as door prize/ drawing type thing.. The car show will include..Rods,Cruisers,Customs,Low-riders and Vintage cars.(Saturday & Sunday) The planes are a "fly in" vintage and Experimental.(with rides available) Theres a Big Band dance Saturday nite in one of the hangers and a pancake feed Sunday morning. All in all sounds like their trying to make this a pretty big deal.... ::

1 - 16 of 16 Posts