1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
333 Posts
Those roads up there are really dark, at that time of night it would be easy to drive into a ditch. Add in 720hp, I could easily see how things could go wrong. Wish them all the best. That was a gorgeous car.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I've driven almost the entire length of Mulholland Highway. There is nothing straight about that road, lots of wrecks on it. There really isn't a shoulder anywhere, it's either a steep cliff face going up, or going down. They might have only gone 10 feet off the road, but it looks like it was 50+ feet down.

Hopefully everyone fully recovers. Supposedly Kevin was able to walk back to his house nearby to get help for the others trapped in the car.

Google map Mulholland Highway, then for fun, do a street view.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Low profile tires on a restomod with 700hp = "A HANDFUL"... I learned from my own experience when I drop shifted and mashed my 700hp aluminator at 70mph...didn't take but a second to determine that it was a bad choice. Luckily I was able to gather it up within the 4 empty lanes I had to work with. Big horsepower deserves respect...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Those look amazing. Of course, starting with a $400k price tag is a little out of my budget but I'd love to have one. Or several.

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
I've driven almost the entire length of Mulholland Highway. There is nothing straight about that road, lots of wrecks on it. There really isn't a shoulder anywhere, it's either a steep cliff face going up, or going down. They might have only gone 10 feet off the road, but it looks like it was 50+ feet down.

Hopefully everyone fully recovers. Supposedly Kevin was able to walk back to his house nearby to get help for the others trapped in the car.

Google map Mulholland Highway, then for fun, do a street view.
Probably the longest straight on the whole road is where is occurred......

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mulholland+Hwy+&+Cold+Canyon+Rd,+California+91302/@34.0994278,-118.6692583,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c29fe401bcdafd:0x776ab0a4a81122b9!8m2!3d34.0994278!4d-118.6670696

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Had to Google who he was, I don't get out past the garage much these days. Messing up your back can be worse than death. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Older and a little wiser I save my shenanigans for the track.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Low profile tires on a restomod with 700hp = "A HANDFUL"... I learned from my own experience when I drop shifted and mashed my 700hp aluminator at 70mph...didn't take but a second to determine that it was a bad choice. Luckily I was able to gather it up within the 4 empty lanes I had to work with. Big horsepower deserves respect...
^^^^this. supercharger +auto+letting your friend drive the car+ 2 lane hill side woods lined road=nightmare. Can happen with manual too but is easier to gather up if it gets loose.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Bummer!

Yeah, you even let off the gas at the wrong time around a curve, over a crest and you'll eat it even with 300hp. California hills are full of incorrectly banked turns. That's what makes them fun.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts

That is how it always happens isn't it?

Years ago, one of my sisters wrecked her car into a telephone pole on a beautiful clear day on a straight somewhat flat road only a couple miles from home. She still claims she has no idea how it happened. She was 100% fine. Car was toast.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/01/kevin-hart-car-accident-malibu-off-road-passengers-trapped/

Looking at the photos, it looks like a pretty straight road and the car took a left for whatever reason...

Allen
My buddy bought an early-ish Viper about 10 years ago. He's an old street racer from the old days and pretty much knows how to handle a high horsepower car. Well, he got on the Viper a bit a few days after the got it and the next thing he knew, he was facing the other direction. Less than a week later the Viper was sold.

Modern cars with stability controls have yaw sensors and other inputs to the computer that will rapidly fire the brake(s) on any individual wheel even with no braking input by the driver, and also throttling back to keep them in line.

Drivers used to this type of control can get caught off guard by older cars or reproductions that don't have them.

I doubt Hart's 'Cuda had stability control.

John

·
Registered
717 Posts
Modern cars with stability controls have yaw sensors and other inputs to the computer that will rapidly fire the brake(s) on any individual wheel even with no braking input by the driver, and also throttling back to keep them in line.

Drivers used to this type of control can get caught off guard by older cars or reproductions that don't have them.

I doubt Hart's 'Cuda had stability control.

John

I remember Jay Leno making a similar remark in one of his car videos. His video was about one of his really powerful cars that doesn't have any sort of driver aide and how dangerous such a car would be for all the current drivers that have always driven cars equipped with the driver aides that help keep them out of trouble.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts