Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this will be a long thread to wrap up but i thought i'd create a thread to track the progress.

the car is in good shape. it needs lower rear quarters, rear floor boards for sure. we'll be tearing it down over the next few weeks, cut out the cancer, add subframe connectors, strip paint, repaint, and build it back up. It'll have a 302 HO motor when all's said and done. we'll keep the interior (white/ivy gold deluxe), and change the blue exterior accents to a similar green/gold to tie in with the interior. it will have the GT 350 spirit but will not be an exact clone. came with 4 speed toploader and Hurst competition kit which was a plus.

I'll be pinging the group for advice from time to time.

cheers!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
Welcome, I’ll be following.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update 6/27/18

about 10 days since we brought it home and it's pretty well stripped down. this car has great bones! doors open like new. panels are straight and true.

First order of business: replace rusty metal.

Floor
It needs driver side front and rear pan; seat mount is solid so i want to preserve as much original metal as possible.

Trunk
The trunk needs a fair bit or work around the front of the tank and the drops. a spot where the jack mounts.

Quarter Panels
Both quarter panels need lower patch work.

We'll be tackling this over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a few more baseline pics

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry its been a while but as I'm sure you all know, things take longer than predicted. i've spent the last 2 months stripping the car to the bone, and investing in the shop. i designed and built a nice compressed air system with my boy. we learned how to sweat copper pipe together and are stoked that the system holds pressure on the first pull. we plan to blast and paint the car ourselves so the system has one run that is extra dry, and another run that's oiled. bought a 60 gal, 2-phase Industrial Air compressor and its really nice. had a 50amp subpanel wired for the garage. and just acquired a Millermatic 200. it was set up with 035 wire so 023 drives are on order. also got a plasma cutter so we're all set.
picked up new metal down in socal a few weeks ago so we're about to be very busy!

Stay tuned...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
Twice as long, and twice as expensive is a good rule of thumb,....:wink:

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Whatever you do, keep EVERY part you pull off your fastback. Good lord, everything for these cars is expensive now! I sold my rear folding seat assembly about 5 years ago for like $100, because I thought I wouldn't need it, and now it's a $1000-$1500 set of parts. Same story with rear vents, all interior/exterior trim, etc.

Oh and enjoy the father/son build!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Great starting point for a project. I wish my car was that complete...would have made things so much easier.

Ditto on keeping every part and I would try to salvage every original panel...aftermarket stuff fits like crap.

The sheet metal where you trim panels connect look good, but those metal tabs they mount to are not reproduced...so don't lose them and mark exactly where they came from if you do remove them for any reason.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Since you will be replacing floors, you might think about using Vert inner rockers and both torque boxes, and forget about the SFCs. They will make the chassis much stronger than any SFC can.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Nice Factory Pony Fastback. I just recently replaced the floors and trunk panel in my Mom's fastback due to rust, which is very similar to what I see your your photographs. The floor supports will more than likely need to be replaced as well. I would also recommend adding front torque boxes. Best of luck with your father and son build.

·
Premium Member
5,095 Posts
Since you will be replacing floors, you might think about using Vert inner rockers and both torque boxes, and forget about the SFCs. They will make the chassis much stronger than any SFC can.
Great idea, wish I had thought of the vert inner rockers. For an extra $200 I could have purchased the entire convertible floor from Thoroughbred at the time but at least I installed the front torque boxes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 20 of 30 Posts