Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
even though i can't drive again yet.(my knee) i went to start the mach today to let it run awhile. went to turn it off after awhile and the key won't come out........it turns back enough to turn the car off and all assce, are turned off, but i cant get the key all the way back and out..... i just dont like the idea of my car seeting out back with the key in.....i tried to force it back alittle but it seems stuck pretty good......... thanks for any help

·
Registered
846 Posts
Charleston area? Clarksburg, Parkersburg.......Morgantown? tell me where where where! ::

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
My key was stuck like that once and I had to slam it into reverse kinda hard and turn the key at the same time to get it to turn off and come out. It didnt do it everytime and stopped doing it after I put new bushings in the linkage. You might try that.

JBauer4363

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actully i'm about 10 miles from Forest Hill WV Bob. :0).

the mach is a 4-speed so i don't think the reverse thing is going to work...thanks though......

do you guys/gals think if i take the switch apart (the one on the column that the rod goes into) might free it up.. or the prob is in the key switch itself?....please keep the ideas comming

maybe i should take it to a mec, before i mess it up too bad to fix. i'm seem to be one of those people that "if they can't fix it,they'll fix it so no one can fix it" teehee ......... jace

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i have a 4spd and the trany has to be in reverse for the key to come out

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Depends whether you have the lockout rod in place. A lot of cars don't. If you don't, try twisting the ring portion of the column in front of the key section while you try to pull the key out. This ring turns with the lockout rod, and if accidentally twisted, can lock the key cylinder. If you have the lock-out rod in place, try disconnecting the lockout rod (okay, in your condition this may not be easy (where did you say you live?)), and then try twisting the ring. I wouldn't beat on it if the rod is in place (will just beat up the bushings), just disconnect the rod to free up the ring.

Carl

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my car doesn't have a "lock out rod" i didn't know there was such a thing but i've had the tranny out twice and never hooked up anything like that.. i'll try twisting the column ring thingy.... it will some time before i can get under a car:0( thanks jace

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys it turn out to be the ring on the column needed turned.... i always wondered what the thing with a tab and hole was for on the bottom of the column.. i guess i know, it's where a lock out rod thingy is suppose to be :0)..... jim sweet looking cougar!!! we might get started on my wifes 70 cougar someday :0)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts