Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know police cars tend to have one key for doors, trunk, ignition and glove box. Is it that hard to get done or expensive? Could I do it myself? Ideally, it would be nice to do all my fords that way so would it be tough to key a vintage mustang and a "late model" (86) the same? Has anybody done this?

'67 A-Code Coupe
'68 C-Code Coupe (SWMBO's)
'86 SVO 1D
'86 SVO 2A
[email][email protected] [/Email]

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
WHY ????

If in doubt give it a clout
If at first you don't succeed , find a bigger hammer
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584152&a=12055089&p=43600042&Sequence=15&res=high.jpg

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Are you saying All police car are keyed the same .?
I don't understand. Please explain !
I'm not very smart but I'm good at lifting things. LOL

If in doubt give it a clout
If at first you don't succeed , find a bigger hammer
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584152&a=12055089&p=43600042&Sequence=15&res=high.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
I had my ignition keyed the same as my doors at the locksmith and it cost $25 for parts and labor, including having 2 keys cut. That's about as much as a new lock set costs from the vendors but I didn't want to hassle with replacing the door locks.

If you brought all of the cylinders to the locksmith it probably wouldn't be too bad but I'd call first. I assume once the first one is done the rest are easy but I could be wrong.

http://www.hurtle.com/cars/mustang/sig.gif
Please contribute to my Reproduction Parts Rating Site

G

·
0 Posts
For the late models (pre '94) Ford had the police lock sets packaged together-trunk, doors, glove box, and ignition since they ran Mustangs for Highway Patrols. My dad works a Dearborn Assembly and I aquired one of the sets years ago for an '81 T-top I had. There's a good chance you could still find one of these sets since it would have been the same cylinders for any other police sedan. And yes, I believe all the police cylinders were keyd the same. As far as your classics go, like the previous post said, you'll have to take them to a locksmith and see. The problem is that the side of the keys with the cuts is opposite for the trunk/glove box key. You would have a hard time changing those.

Chris

'67 Conv. 289 C-code Frost Turquise
'99 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4
'01 Ford Escape (wife's car)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if all units that a Police department uses come with one key, but like Chris said, all locks on a single unit could be keyed alike. I saw an ad or two for a set over a year ago and am sorry I didn't go for it.
I have two Vintage Mustangs and two 60's vintage Rancheros along with two SVO's and lately an 89 Bronco. I might be strong enough to carry all those keys, but my mind isn't strong enough to keep track of which key goes to what because they all look pretty much the same. Of course, it's harder to find the right key when I'm in a hurry. *G* All that and having to remember whether I'm driving with a manual or automatic transmission. SWMBO has been on my butt lately because I haven't been putting the automatics in park when I get home. *LOL* Boy, I'll be glad when this tax season is over so I can take a month or two off...I'm tired. *G*

'67 A-Code Coupe
'68 C-Code Coupe (SWMBO's)
'86 SVO 1D
'86 SVO 2A
[email][email protected] [/Email]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts