Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am working on the 393 stroker, getting ready to finish the front of the motor. The crank already has a keyway in it so I can't get the crank gear on. I tried to get it out, but was unable to do so. Anybody with any tricks up there sleave.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
680 Posts
I guess that you mean that it already has a key stuck in the keyway, right???
I have always used a small blunt chiesel. Don't want to cut it, just want it to move.....Old screwdriver works, also, but I am afraid that I will get flamed for useing a screwdriver as a punch....Noone ever does that...Right...

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Quick and dirty and you didn't hear it from me...*G*

Warm up keyway area with propane torch....just barely too hot to touch but not more...then spray with penetrating oil (yes,it might smoke, depending on the thickness of your callouses *G*)

Let cool; place crank so back end is secure (wood block against wall on workbench will work); protect snout with a thin piece of shim stock; place flat cold chisel against leading edge of key (chisel should be sharp but not razor sharp); give it a good whack with a small hammer, trying to remain as close to parallel to the snout as possible.

Usually, that'll break it loose.

This method works for square and woodruff keys...once the key starts coming up a bit, get a thin screwdriver under it and work it out carefully. Dress any chisel marks and the sides of the key slightly with a flat file until it fits securely but not too tightly in the groove

Question....what is preventing crank gear from going over existing key? Sometimes the obvious escapes me..*G*

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
You'd be surprised what I put a torch to everyday....and what your neighborhood machine shop doesn't tell you...

Read my post carefully....have you ever touched a crank inside an engine after it's been running? Trust me, I have.....Since I'll assume most VMF'ers are inexperienced with Oxy/Acetylene and how fast it can heat things up, that's why I advised using propane or MAPP...very modest heat input...

The idea is to slightly expand the material enough to get some penetrant inside, espicially if the poster was referring to a woodruff key, which is deep in the snout. I work on industrial engines, many of which use these PITA crank keys *G*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts