Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hope someone can please help me.
I have a 66 fastback and want to now fit new kick panels.The car has three holes in each side, and the screw kit supply 4 screws, 2 for a side.
I have been looking through several books and some panels show to have 2 screws holding the panel, and some have three.
Which is correct, and if possible a pic or two would be a great help.
Thankyou in advance.

Ian.

G

·
0 Posts
It would help if you had the original kick panels. Is your car an early '66? If you have 3 holes that appear original, then is might be possible you had 3 screws. Send me a PM with your VIN, I might be able to find some reference pictures of unrestored cars built at the same time/plant as yours.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, any luck yet Charles, or anyone else?

Car is standard interior
Build date of nov 11 65
Metuchen plant.

Thankyou.

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
Easy one... Check how many screw holes are in your kick panel area drilled into the metal on each side...That should definitivelt tell you whether the car came with two or three screws on each side..

I'm still trying to get someone to loan me an original set of '66 convertible kick panels to use as templates for holes in my new kick panles and I'll FEDEX them back to whomever...It will save me lots of time...but alas I guess noone has a crappy pair that they can lend out to me.. :(

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible
MCA#70001

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Fastback Ian said:
Hi, any luck yet Charles, or anyone else?

Car is standard interior
Build date of nov 11 65
Metuchen plant.

Thankyou.
Ian my fastback is a 10/65 Metuchen car. The inner sheetmetal has three holes (NOT including the lower hole shared by the sill plate). If I recall correctly though, there were only two screws used. I have the panels out right now. One of the upper holes doesn't look as if it's ever been utilized. I did a quick look around for my panels but couldn't locate them. I'll see about digging them out and let you know for sure.

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
You know, John is right... It is possible for the 3rd hole to be there but not ever have been utilized... Check any existing holes for marks, scars, use, etc. Thanks for that added tidbit John. :thumbsup:

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible
MCA#70001

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hi Guy's here is a pic of the drivers side, showing all three holes. Passenger side is the same, just seems to me that the two top holes are really close together?
All your thoughts and comments are much appreciated.

Regards Ian.

G

·
0 Posts
Ian,

I was not able to find any good reference pics from cars built around your time.

·
Registered
813 Posts
A change took place on or about 5 - 20 - 65 when the "three screw' kick panels were superceeded by the "two screw" kick panels. Of course there was some over run of the previous panels being used, and also the car was being assembeled in three locations so this date is only a valid starting point for the two screw panels. This info was taken from the 1965 Osborn Factory Manual, page ten, Interior manual. A small footnote on the left bottom of the page has this notation if you are interestd in all of the details. The original panels had the holes already in them along with a boss that kept them from being over tightened and puckered. Hope this will help in your quest for correctness.

G

·
0 Posts
I only see one hole for the kick panel. The other hole up further to the top is the ground wire for the door courtesy light with deluxe interior. The hole was always made but obviously only used for deluxe interior cars.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Ian, the holes you pictured were in the same locations as those on my car (both driver and passenger sides). It's not surprising seeing how the scheduled assembly dates for our two cars is pretty close. I'm still trying to find my panels. I know they're stashed somewhere!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi John, that's very interesting to me. Unfortunately when i bought my car and it came here to England it had no kick panels at all, so this is why i have repro ones to fit. Don't know if it is the repro panels only but they seem rather thin.

Regards Ian.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Ian
I know this is way overdue, but I didn't forget. i finally located my original kick panels. They had gotten stashed in a storage box in the shed!

They did indeed have only two screws. The holes also passed through raised "bosses" that were molded on the inside surface of the panel, just as Jim Murphy mentioned. If it's not too late, and you'd still like pictures, I can shoot some and post for you.

Just glad I'm not crazy and finally found the darn things! On second thought, that really doesn't confirm my level of sanity! :lol: :loco:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts