Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bare with me I need to vent. I call Retrosound a few weeks ago and spoke with a very lovely lady on the phone. Very helpful. Told her what I was doing with my 66 convertible and she set me up with a system. Radio with Bluetooth, USB, dual voice front speaker, kick panel speakers and amp.

I got the kick panels specifically for the convertible along with the upgraded speakers and sound deadening. Well, the kick panels don't fit. The speaker enclosure is too far back and the panel won't slip past the fresh air vent. So I called customer support and they seemed confused as to why they didn't fit. That's ok but I told him I'd like to return the kick panels and keep the speakers. Can't do that since I bought them as a kit. Soooo, I order the same speakers, they are on their way, and packed up the other stuff to go back.

Called NPD and spoke to them about their kick panels, was told they fit fine. I got them and they fit really well. Just slight trimming on the top. Only issue I have now is the speaker opening is too small for the Retrosound speakers. The ones I order also have to go back.

So now I have to find a speaker that fits the NPD panels. I know, I should have ordered them with speakers. Can't send them back since I trimmed them. I went to a local, very good, car audio place and they ordered Hertz DCX 170.3's. Nice speakers but when I got home and looked at the specs, they are also too big. I brought my kick panel with me to the store and they still ordered speaker too big!!!!!

At this point I see two options. I can keep my Retrosound speakers and order a surface mounted enclosure and mount them to my original panels and eat the cost of the NPD panels ($60). Or, does anyone know what speaker will fit into an NPD kick panel for a 1966 convertible?

·
Registered
669 Posts
What is the size of the hole? Go to Crutchfield, look up the size. With the kick panel installed put a tape measure in the speaker hole. Find the depth. Find a speaker with the correct size and depth.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the size of the hole? Go to Crutchfield, look up the size. With the kick panel installed put a tape measure in the speaker hole. Find the depth. Find a speaker with the correct size and depth.
I did that and came up with a Pioneer speaker that I can get at BestBuy. I THOUGHT if I brought the panel to a local expert, they would be able to do the same with a much better speaker. It will get done. I just can't manage to do things the easy way.

·
Registered
685 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well looking at the NPD site it says they are 6 1/2" Kenwood speakers. The ones in one of the pics look similar to these. https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KFC-1696PS-Speakers-Watts-KFC1696PS/dp/B07NF67TWG/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=6.5+kenwood&qid=1563664628&s=electronics&sr=1-10

I'm going to need those for my 66 when the time comes hence why I am watching the thread.
Both NPD and CJ's sell this kick panel and both say they hold 6 1/2" speakers so I should be able to find some. Just need to watch the depth of the speakers. I'll definitely keep the thread up to date with what I do.

I used the NPD panels with Alpine Type-R 6 1/2's. Added a 1/2" spacer and off we went.
I'll check them out. Where did you get the spacer?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I bought the kick panels with the speakers they came with, used them for a couple of years and just thought it had too much treble. I switched them out to some Kickers CSC65 and I like them. Pretty sure there are dozens and dozens of other speakers that would work well too and I am no audiophile. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
ophthos Hertz is a nice product for sure. So did the sound shop try the Hertz DCX 165.3 or the 160.3? Or was depth an issue? A simple spacer would be the solution.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ophthos Hertz is a nice product for sure. So did the sound shop try the Hertz DCX 165.3 or the 160.3? Or was depth an issue? A simple spacer would be the solution.
They picked the 170.3's due to the depth. I'll ask about the others with a spacer when they come in.

·
Registered
550 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJG80YA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a preference to the Type-R speakers but you can math out the install depth of any speaker and get a corresponding spacer to correct the depth. After that, it's sourcing the appropriately sized screws to mount it.
Do you have any issue with the speakers/spacers interfering with your left foot when working the clutch pedal? Can you still get to the high beam switch ok?

Any pics of the finished install?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went with the Pioneer BestBuy special as well. My entire stereo system cost about $110. Serviceable but still not es good as the system in my old MGB which was a Bose Mini Soundlink and my iPhone. At least the pioneer system is less attractive to thieves and it left me with more money to spend on different nonsense.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Do you have any issue with the speakers/spacers interfering with your left foot when working the clutch pedal? Can you still get to the high beam switch ok?

Any pics of the finished install?
Plenty of room for the clutch. I have the dimmer switch mounted kind of high but you can see that there's plenty of clearance regardless. The spacer looks a little 'donut-ish' but it does the job. I've never been too concerned about it since it's under the dash.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today while I was at BestBuy buying my wife a SodaStream, I picked up the Pioneer 6 1/2 inch speakers. $40.00. Not high end but the only time I drive the car is with the top down so I'm not expecting superb audio quality. Plus, I like listening to the sound of my 289!

The speakers fit perfectly. No problems with depth. And at 1/3 of the cost of the Hertz speakers, I think I'll try the Pioneers for a bit.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Plenty of room for the clutch. I have the dimmer switch mounted kind of high but you can see that there's plenty of clearance regardless. The spacer looks a little 'donut-ish' but it does the job. I've never been too concerned about it since it's under the dash.

Thanks for the pic. I was worried about clearance with the kick panel speakers, but that eases my mind.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Well, it looks like you have already solved your problem, but just in case I'll share how I solved the same problem. First I wanted great sound AND a stock look. No spacers and no overhanging aftermarket speaker covers. One thing I learned is that 6.5" speakers DO NOT FIT THESE PANELS well. All of the speakers I looked at had very deep mounting requirements with large magnets. After some searching I found these kick panels that have a 3" speaker depth capability (and they really do):

1965-68 MUSTANG KICK PANELS FASTBACK AND COUPE

However, just like all other kick panels they're too small for a 6.5" speaker, unless you want the speaker grill to hang over the raised area where the speaker sits. So, I bought 5.25" Infinity Reference speakers with a 2.5" mounting depth and I have PLENTY of clearance behind the speaker. The panel sticks out enough to completely block the windshield washer pedal, which I have only used once in the 9 years I've had the car so I'm not really worried about it. However, it leaves plenty of room for the clutch pedal and I still have room to rest my foot on the floor beside the pedal. I had to trim the panels to fit on both sides but it was an easy fit.

Here's the final product. I bought speaker covers off of Amazon and wrapped the mounting ring with chrome vinyl to give them that 60's look.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts