Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is disassembled and on a rotisserie. Natch, I start seeing all the cool mods I could make with easy access to everything.

I noticed that in the panels behind the kick panels, there are embossments or indentations shaped like a somewhat rounded off square. They look like something one would cut out to install a round speaker. There are even dimples in there like Ford uses everywhere to indicate where holes would go for certain accessories or whatever.

Does anyone know if Ford intended these panels to be cut for speakers? No decent kick panel speaker will fit because this panel is so close behind. Decent kick panel speakers stick way out to make room for the cones and magnets.

It looks to me like a hole could be cut in this panel so that a decent speaker could be flush mounted in the kick panel. Of course, a "box" of some kind would have to be installed on the outside to seal out moisture and acoustically support the speaker.

Again, these panel indentations look suspiciously like they were intended to accommodate speakers in some form or fashion.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
If you're talking about the forward portion of the KP area, on the car, a 67 Cougar I parted had KP Speakers in that location. The speakers had been removed but still had the Kpanels with a pattern of small holes to make a "grille". There was a hole in that area and a metal "cup" for better description, of a barrier to keep the speaker dry, etc.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,682 Posts
I have the same speaker set up in my '67 Ranchero kick panels(came with a factory underdash 8 track tape player). The key is the sealing cups to keep moisture out of the speakers and off your feet. I've seen them occasionally on ebay.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
The '68 Cougar, Fairlane, Falcon, Montego, Mustang shop manual on p 19-53
Fig. 38 shows these cowl speakers for Cougar with AM/FM and stereo tape. I often thought
about doing this on my Stang. I chickened out and used the kick panel speakers.

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
While my car isn't a '68, I plan on doing something like that with my '66. The problem is that the speakers will be pretty far under the dash, so I plan on using component speakers (separate tweeters) to raise the sound up to a normal level.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, now I know I'm not totally crazy. :loco:

Since it's OK to mount speakers there, I'm adding it to the mod list. Now to design and fab some "boxes"...

The in-dash speaker (and aftermarket stereo replacements) is worthless.

Thanks for the info, guys.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Another option is to build a small wedge shaped box that goes under the radio. I did this in high school and it worked pretty well, though it doesn't give you the spatial seperation that the kick panels would.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
If I did this I'd use a measuring tape to check clearance to the fender. :shocked:

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
I too am confused as to how the kick panel speakers (Pre made. I see them in catalogues) would fit?! You'd think there is only an inch of room behind the kick panel and the metal panel.. So what gives with those? Are the repros with the speakers in them molded differently so they stick out farther?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
They stick out further and use special speakers that aren't very deep.

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
Aww damnit. I thought I could just take my original panels, cut a hole in them, and stick a speaker in them.. I guess that won't be happening, now will it.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Not unless you have speakers with zero depth. The "kickpanels for speakers" have about a 1" "bubble" to them and some thin speakers mounted to them. They sound better than a 40 year old 4x10" mono speaker in the dash, but not as good as most other modern 6.5" speakers.

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
So I guess the point of this thread is to get good speakers in there, you have to cut out the metal panel that actually goes outside and weld in a bigger box? Well thats bunk!

·
Banned
647 Posts
No, you just buy the new kick panels that allows you to put in speakers and that should be all you need.

·
Banned
647 Posts
That gives you about 2" to play with so it works well. The only other option is the door and I cannot see anyone cup up thier door panel to install speakers. At least you can keep your original kick panels and cut up the aftermarket ones. And there are some really good 5.25 to 6" speakers out there that are low profile. Combined with some 5X8s or 6X9s in your rear deck and you have one nice sounding car. Throw a 10 powered subwoofer in the trunk next to the back of the seat and you have modern sounds system. I bought a set of the kick panels and restored my original ones so that if anyone ever wants stock they have them. Everything I take off of my car I am keeping for the next owner so they can decide which way they want to go with the car. I lean your way, mod if possible but keep the look as stock as possible.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts