Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mustang is my daily driver and I drop my son off at preschool every morning (wife picks him up), he has just turned 4 and has been sitting in a toddler carseat. The toddler carseat is great, it is positioned in the middle with the two lap belt holding it in place. The problem is he is getting bigger and will have to move up to a booster seat. Has anyone been through this and what do you recommend? it look like most of the booster seat require a 3 point seat belt.
Any advice would be very helpful, I say he may have another 4 month in his current seat to go.
Is it time to install a 3 point seat belt in the back seat?

·
Registered
501 Posts
3 point is the only safe way to go

lap belts are not enough

i think it may be legal because it is all your ride came with stock

but 3 point is the way to go

chris

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Aussie said:
Is it time to install a 3 point seat belt in the back seat?
In a word, YES.

It is a decision you will never regret. I use to ride with my sone in the front seat, with his car seat strapped in with the lap belt. Snug as a bug in a rug. (Although some crazy lady yelled at me at a stop light about how dangerous it was to have a child in the front seat)!.

Once they (twins) stepped up into booster seats I added the three-point belts in the rear and now at ten they still ride with me every time I go out.

Peace of mind for relatively little cost.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
i would go three-point in your situation. the only reason i don't is that i have a convertible.

The whole point of booster seats is to raise a child up to a height where three-point belts are effective, because without the booster, the shoulder belt would go right across the face/neck of younger children. If you don't have three-point belts, there's no reason to use a booster. In fact, in Delaware, the actual state regulation is to NOT use a booster seat with a lap-belt-only car. And it's not just classics - my DD was an '85 Camry (which I guess technically is a classic, but still), and that car had lap-only in the backseat... therefore, no booster.

That being said, three-point with a booster is definitely safer than lap-only with no booster, so I'd go with that if I could.

Oh, and the main reason it's not safe to have a child in the front seat anymore is the airbag. Unless someone's got a 65-73 Mustang with some serious mods, it's really no problem for any of our cars.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How hard is it to install the 3 point in the back seat, is there a kit or some write up to follow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts