Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've discovered a jingle-jangling noise coming from somewhere inside my center dash area whenever I exceed about 80mph. Now I suppose I could look at this two different ways, the first being to consider it my own little speed limit warning signal. I mean, what am I doing going that fast anyways, right? Just leave her be. Or knowing that I just might (ahem) exceed interstate speed limits from time to time, I could dig onupinandunder there, find that little pixie, and send her back to Neverland. You must understand, launching a search and destroy mission into that amazon forest behind the dash is a nasty job for me. There are bad things that can befall on such an expedition, like making something else not work afterwards, and that's not to mention putting it all back together and discovering I didn't find that little biotch after all. My biggest fear (and it's a valid one) is that Tinker Bell is hiding in one of the original wiper arm linkages. Ugh.
The purpose of this thread is that I'm procrastinating. I'm great at that by the way, world class.:grin2:

To the tune of Carly Simon's "Anticipation":

And tomorrow, we might still be together
No expert, I don't know Tinker's ways
So I'll try, there's no time like today right now
and have a beer, cuz' these are the good old days

Procrastination, procrastination
I'm Tinker Bell bait
She's driving me crazy.
So there's nothing for it but to go poking around in there and take ammo with me. Look out Tink, here I come. :redx:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Does the car vibrate more at 80mph and does it always consistently happen at the same speed?
Could it be coming from the speedometer? Maybe something inside there doesn't like going that fast.

We could try to take a ride down on 64 where we can get it up to speed and I can try to help trace where it's coming from.

·
Premium Member
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the car vibrate more at 80mph and does it always consistently happen at the same speed?
Could it be coming from the speedometer?
It's smooth and stable over 90mph, as fast as I've bothered to test it. Yeah, right about 80mph the clinky intermittent jingle happens. Sounds like a washer bouncing around or something like that. The speedo is run by sensor. Passengers tell me what I already suspected, up under the center dash somewhere is the source. If I can't find it, looking now, I'll bring it your way with the console, radio, etc. out and maybe we can find it at speed. Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Is it the shifter linkage? Mine decides to jangle every once in a while and if I put my hand on the shifter knob it stops. It's just the brass bushings on the shifter resonating but it can sound like it's up under the dash, at least in my case.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'll bet you a Timbit that you have a broken drivers COWL VENT pull cable. The steel C-clip that holds the pull knob assembly in place on the backside of the dash bracket might be loose causing the 'jangle". Tink has been riding with me for most of 30 years now. I finally bought a new cowl vent to install - good bye to my Tink this summer. Good luck locating yours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts