Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The type of mentality posted in the responses really struck a nerve with me tonight, I love cats and dogs, and many animals, but I am not a animal "freak", nor am I a parent, but the attitude expressed in the replies really sickened me, I love Mustangs, they have been a part of my life since I was 14 years old, but a living breathing creature in no way compares, go ahead and enjoy your cars, but please love life and value the living alot more than just a problem with a foul odor, and please try and pass respect for life to your children, grandchildren. etc.I think we need it(respect for life) in society today.Now back to Mustangs....

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed
1964 Fairlane 500 2DR HT-the new project
1986 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 the "beater"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1573428&a=11959254&p=43023698.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
Well said! It's happened to me many times before but I can only blame myself. I'm not a lawyer but it could be compared to a swimming pool with no fence around it. It would be called an attractive nuisance. Put one in the path of something that doesn't know better and...

'67 A-Code Coupe
'68 C-Code Coupe (SWMBO's)
'86 SVO 1D
'86 SVO 2A
[email][email protected] [/Email]
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe most replies were just tongue in cheek. But if you are a hunter as you say you should know about the song birds decline in numbers caused by Cats being allowed to roam free. It is estimated that in Wisconsin 19 million Song Birds are lost to free roaming cats In Virginia 26 million. A study done in one English village puts the song bird loss due to roaming cats conservativly at 23 million
A study in Illinois concluded that cats were taking 5.5 million rodents and 2.5 billion other vertebrates from a 26,000 square mile area, effectively depleting the prey base necessary to sustain wintering raptors and other native predators. I could go one but I think you get the message.
Free roaming cats are a real problem.These cats are not feral they are just allowed to roam free by their owners who believe that they are doing the right thing.
Now before you get the wrong idea I have cats,dogs and horses.and I take care of my animals they are part of MY FAMILY,but when I am afield during a hunt I will do my part to help our song birds and raptors survive



Greg B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
I agree, a house pet is exactly that, a HOUSE pet. If catch a free roaming animal deficating on my car, it will be delt with. There are humain traps out there and they are fairly easy to construct. These animals should be cought and takin off the steets and sent to the pound!

Someone please buy my Ski Doo!
68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,667 Posts
Well I am a brother. When I was a kid of 14 I had to pull somebody's stray cat off my sister. It was in the process of chewing her up at the time. People used to drive out to our place all the time and dump their animals they no longer wanted. A lot of them were diseased and had been abused or fought and were extremely aggressive. We wound up having to shoot them on a regular basis. There wasn't any animal control or shelter and we couldn't afford to vet or feed them. Well the stray cat died and my sis and I wound up having 23 needles shoved into our belly buttons one at a time for our trouble. You know, rabies shots. We also had to put down our dogs over it(put down as in kill and bury). Ever have to sight in your own dog that you grew up with all your life and shoot it with a rifle over some moron dumping a stray out on your door step?

I'm also a parent. My son was attacked by somebody's free roaming dog in our own yard. We had an ER visit and 35 stitches in the back of his head and neck for that trouble. A couple of more bites to his neck and he would have probably died.

Just a few weeks ago one of my neighbors free roaming idiot mutts crawled up in my yard onto my front porch and bled to death. It had gotten into a fight with another neighbors dog and obviously lost. Why it picked my place to die is a mystery to me.

Theres no animal control here, theres no shelter here and the Sherrifs department is not interested in taking on the animal control problem. Some of these animals are wild cross breeds with bob cats or wolves. These morons here will breed these things and they are too aggressive for them to keep so they dump them. Ever tangle with a half wolf German Sheperd or a wild half bob cat? You don't want to.

My 72 year old mother drove up in my yard here some time back and honked her horn. Some dog jumped up on her door right in my front yard and tried to bite her through her car window. If she had already been out of her car I don't know what might have happened.

My popping some of these strange dogs or fornicating cats that seem to like to gather on my property doesn't do them any permanent harm. A BB gun will sting them a little and they don't generally come back. I don't aim for their head or eyes where I could possibly put an eye out. Most of the time I shoot under their feet just to scare them. As a result I don't have a bunch of dogs or cats trying to spray my vehicles, chew up me or my family or tear through my trash all the time.

One last piece of advice. Don't in any way speak any kind of innuendo regarding a loaded gun in my direction again.



You can see my 65 fastback at: http://hottarod.stangnet.com/
http://members.aol.com/macstang/Gifs/macstang3.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
Here kitty kitty kitty, come get your food. You'll love this little mixture I have for you. Hmmm. I wonder what the "respect for animal life" group thinks about abortion of babies. LOL.

THE NINETY-NINETY RULE OF PROJECT SCHEDULES...
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time. The last 10% of the project takes the other 90%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
wow, putting an 8 mm bullet into someones car for eliminating your "out of bounds,stray, trespassing and destructive cat" is a serious threat. What value are you passing on to your children and grandchildren as pertains to respect for other peoples property? This is laughable. Work your tail off for a vehicle so that some feline may come and urinate, scratch and deface it while I stand there and glow in my thoughts about the beauty of animal live. LOL.

THE NINETY-NINETY RULE OF PROJECT SCHEDULES...
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time. The last 10% of the project takes the other 90%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
952 Posts
My definition of a "feral" cat is, one not in the yard, home, or leash of their owner.

I have never understood the attitude of cat owners who feel it is just fine for their cat to roam around, but if a dog is not on a leash, even in their own yard, they go nuts.



69-GT F Code Sportsroof
00 - Dodge Ram 1500 - My daily driver
95 - Dodge Stratus LS - SWMBO daily driver
92 - Ford Tempo GL - Daughters beast
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me start by saying there are two kinds of people in this world, cat lovers and dog lovers. Kinda like ford and chevy fans (I guess I would qualify as a dog/ford kinda guy). BTW, I think I’m hitting around 80% for spotting cat people when I’m in the grocery store - and that’s without looking in their carts! Now as I said in my post yesterday (the one that started this discussion), I’ve never removed a cat from this world. I don’t like ‘em and think they are not good for much of anything (except rodent control and company for lonely old ladies and frumpy/quirky women). As a matter of fact, I’ve never even fired my red rider BB gun at a cat (something I’ve done many, many times at the hindquarters of dogs who’ve rumaged through the garbage over the years). But I’m such a softie, I can’t even go to the circus anymore!

KBStang, you make several good points. IMHO, we do live in a society that is off kilter, especially with all the random school/church shootings. It seems that every couple weeks, something else happens, and more innocent lives are lost forever. Do I attribute this to an appetite for violence or tolerance for violence in today’s kids/adults/whomever? Yes. In part, I do. I believe our acceptance for violence as a society might be at one of its high points (especially violence toward people as depicted in film, television and video games etc.)

BUT on the other hand, I DO believe we live in a society that puts animal rights on an enormously high plateau, even above people (just spend 30 minutes listening to the puke that hosts that terrible ‘politically incorrect’ show).

Here comes my point: Think back to when our fathers and grandfathers and great grandfathers were young—there were guns in most homes, God in all school, but no shootings in the classrooms. Bullys preyed and the rest of us put up with it or fought back with our fists.... Now I’d bet any amount of money that 25, 50, 95 years ago, Americans did NOT have problems with an overpopulated whiteail deer herd (to where auto insurance rates skyrocket, lyme disease is a threat and your vegtable garden is at risk), or wild dogs attacking children and people who couldn’t properly defend themselves, or, per our discussion, free roaming cats that can carry disease, kill for fun or ruin property - whether with their claws or their bladder. There were no problems becasue there were not laws back then that put the value of animals above humans. Or put a man in fear of the consequences if he had to kill an oppossum in the backyard or aggressive dog in the driveway.

The thing is, your Grandfather and mine did not hesitate - not for a second - killing a pesky, dangerous or questionable animal - no matter the breed or species. And their neighbors next door and around the country did the same thing. Yet, I know in my heart our earlier generations held the value of human life and American freedoms higher than today’s society can even fathom.

The bottom line is animals are animals. Although I love ‘em, they are here for food, for work, for whatever. They are not people, and should not regarded as such.

I dunno, I think people have the whole thing backwards.

And thanks again everybody for your advice. I’ve got a HUGE bottle of OdoBan sitting next to me I can’t wait to try out tonight when I get home.

70 Mach 1 (351C 4V 4-speed) I've been restoring since '96. 95% complete. Also have a '68 HT (289 2-speed) that I restored between '97-98 and is FOR SALE! The VMF has proven to be an invaluable resource for information, humor and excellent advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
70 MMach ...Three cheers for your post. You have proven that there still is such a thing as common sense in the world. Excellent post and totally true. By the way, I have decided since reading these posts that there might be a market in this society for a low key feline/canine/pest hit man. I am working on the details of how I will market this little business venture legally. I'll keep you posted.

THE NINETY-NINETY RULE OF PROJECT SCHEDULES...
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time. The last 10% of the project takes the other 90%.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top