Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the local SoCal forum and only got some help from maddhatteroo7 and a link to http://www.dslreports.com/ But all that did was make me more confused :: I am really considering going with SBC yahoo DSL. They seemed to get good reviews. So if I go that route it looks as if I will be down for a couple of days. It takes a week to get set up, why a week in this day and age? :p My ISP will be gone on 9/1/3 and if I order today (that is the plan) I will be back online with DSL on Wednesday. Right now we have 2 land home phone lines. The second line is going bye bye. I look at this way 2nd phone line 20 bucks a month, dialup service 12 bucks a month. So with the DSL it will save me 2 bucks a month and be faster. I guess that I will go with the Standard Plus Package as apposed to the Basic Package. :: The one thing that I really hate is the "one-year term" Thanks for any and all input reguarding this major change in my life. :p fd

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
AOL is always offering free access to new users.I think they have one now that is for 45 days,unlimited access time.Just remember to cancel when your DSL is hooked up.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would check with some of your neighbors (ie same street). DSL speeds and stability depends, in part, on your distance to the gateway. I had Earthlink DSL for years. Even though SBC had the speed set at 1.5 mbps I was only able to connect just under 1 mbps. However, in may/june of this year SBC did something to their network and I kept loosing connection. I kept having SBC turn down the speed; 784 kbps, then 384. Turns out the only way for me to get a stable DSL connection would be with SBC setting my speed to 384 and I would have a connection right around 300. I contacted my cable company and now have a 2.1 mbps cable connection

1 - 3 of 3 Posts