Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Mines not heated either, but I get a lot done anyway.
Last year I used some plastic sheet and closed off an area around my project car. A couple electric heaters and it's not so bad ;)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I have a detached garage as well.I have one of those Kerosene blast heaters,It burns my eyes out but at least I'm warm enough to get some work done.I think in the northeast it is crucial to have a winter project it keeps me from getting stir crazy.Maybe we should start a new topic in this forum about what everybody hopes to get done this winter???????

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm a lurker most of the time but if I can offer more than $.02 I will. Anyway, Sally is under cover for the winter and pretty much complete. Sooooooo, get out the winter toys and enjoy the snow.

Kevin http://home.nycap.rr.com/khube/untitled.JPG

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
C5Z said:
I'm a lurker most of the time but if I can offer more than $.02 I will. Anyway, Sally is under cover for the winter and pretty much complete. Sooooooo, get out the winter toys and enjoy the snow.
I'm dying to buy a sled. Don't have the room to keep it under cover yet, so that'll be put off 'til next year.

My garage is detached and will be heated (once I hook up the gas line to the heater). I had to rebuild it before we bought the house two years ago, so it's fully insulated on the walls at least. The Mach will probably be stored at a friends house for a couple months so I can work on other projects inside in the warmth. Kinda takes some getting used to going from a 2500sq ft shop to 380sq ft garage.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
boy, can you imagine if we actually had something to talk about? 23 posts, this has got to be a new record forthe NE chapter.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Let's go for 24 posts :)

I'm here lurking once in awhile.
Quiet time of year here in the Westchester/Putnam/Dutchess County NY area for car stuff ... make you look forward to Spring if nothing else.

My Mustangs are packed away for the Winter. Only 4 months before I unpack them LOL! :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes, it is nice to have a heated garage. I spent my entire youth working outside on the ground and vowed that when I had a place of my own, I'd have a garage. Been here 15 years and the first ten didn't matter becuse I never could afford to do any projects in the garage anyway ;) So I'm just getting started!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
380 sf... man that's a garage mahal (sp) Mine is a wopping 12 x 25. My open working area is about 5 x 8. I hope to build a 12 x 12 loft above soon to move some of the non essential out of the way. I've also got a portable 220V electric heater the breaks the chill pretty good, no fumes so it make for comfortable working during the cold winter weekends...

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
stangg said:
380 sf... man that's a garage mahal (sp) Mine is a wopping 12 x 25. My open working area is about 5 x 8. I hope to build a 12 x 12 loft above soon to move some of the non essential out of the way. I've also got a portable 220V electric heater the breaks the chill pretty good, no fumes so it make for comfortable working during the cold winter weekends...

You have to understand that the 380sq ft isn't exactly open space. Ive got a 2'X 8' shelving unit that is packed with boxes of Mustang parts. I park the nose of my car under this shelf, 'cuz the '71 just fits into the garage. It's 17' deep, 22' wide on the outside. There are three steel shelving units, a 3' X 8' bench, my 40" wide tool chest, 2 hardware drawer units, a big 220V mig welder, 60gal air compressor, 6 engines and three carts stuffed into this space. At least my engine hoist is at a friend's house....

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Re reading my post I don't think I worded that too well... What I was thinking in my mind is that working out of a one car garage just flat out stinks. Even just 50 to 80 extra square feet can make a big difference. Based on the way you've described your garage, I think even though yours is larger, it doesn't sound like it lends itself to an easy working environement. A 16+ foot car in a 17' space can't be fun.

Personally I am more impressed with the guys doing nice work in tight quarters since it shows that it takes a little more ingenuity to get the job done. I'm very thankful to the guy that built my house for making the depth 25'. The width is sufficient if I didn't need to line the walls with cabinets, shelving, tool boxes, welders etc.... I'm fortunate enough to have some stuff stored in a shed, and some of the interior pieces are inside my house.

Back in the garage, I made a platform to set my compressor on the other day. It's about 10" off the floor, but I was able to tuck it up closer to the wall so it gives me about another 6" of floor space in a commonly traveled area. It helps a lot in that I'm not bumping into it all the time now. Little stuff like that goes a long way to making a one car garage a little more bearable for working on the car. We recently did some work to our kitchen, while the floor was open I ran copper pipe from the garage to the basement with the hope of moving the compressor to the basement freeing up some more space.

Currently I've got a few rafters that run the length of the garage with some leftover boards scattered about with all sorts of crap for my old El Camino stored up there. It's bigger stuff and only accessable by ladder, so I figured I'm going to build a loft with a floor so that I can move about safely to better organize for storage and possible as a light working area. There won't be more than 2 to 6 ft of head room, so we'll have to see how it plays out. I'm just trying to maximize what I have without it looking to cluttered or unsafe.

On the engine hoist, I managed to run 3 2x12s across the garage and hung a chainfall off of the beam. This is what I've been using for my roof and engine swaps, and it takes no floor space what so ever.

I hear you on the engines... one of the motivations for getting this Mustang was to get the 5.0 - T5 combo stuffed in the corner of the garage put to use.

Sometimes while in the garage I spend more time trying to figure out how I can better manage the space than actually working on the car. I find a tight / disorganized space makes it hard to get motivated.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Our last house had a 2 car detatched 25x25 garage that was heated & insulated. And to think we sold that place to buy the B&B 3 1/2 years ago that we are selling now due to health issues. Wow I wish we had that house back. :(

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
stangg said:
Sometimes while in the garage I spend more time trying to figure out how I can better manage the space than actually working on the car. I find a tight / disorganized space makes it hard to get motivated.
I do the same thing. I go out to work on "X" and end up cleaning and organizing the garage for a couple hours instead.

Here' a pic of the shop I used to rent with some friends. What you see is only three of the five bays we had. It was 30' deep, 50' long, plus it had another 1000' sq ft of storage area up on the main floor, plus some room in the rafters for body panels, bumpers, etc.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I always had this crazy idea of a big garage where I would rent space and special tools to people who needed space for their projects. When I was in the Army we had garages like that. Big open spaces that had every tool that was not "standard" in your toolbox. Plus a couple of lifts and tire machines. I think that could be a good business opportunity. How many people in the Northeast would or could use a space like that?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I could but i would like it close to home. It has to be a place were i can spend a few hours after work without having to drive an hour.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
green66 said:
I always had this crazy idea of a big garage where I would rent space and special tools to people who needed space for their projects. When I was in the Army we had garages like that. Big open spaces that had every tool that was not "standard" in your toolbox. Plus a couple of lifts and tire machines. I think that could be a good business opportunity. How many people in the Northeast would or could use a space like that?
You probably couldn't afford the insurance cost on that kind of business. You would also havet o have all the necessary permit$ and approval$ before you could even consider opening your doors.

Another thought, the people looking for that kind of space to work on their car, aren't the kind of people you really want to rent to. Military personnel are different, as no one really has a place of their own. Most guys that are hobbyists will either have their own garage, or will rent a building with friends. What you end up with is the riff-raff that will stiff you on the rent and steal your tools. I rented a garage for 10 years with friends. When everybody started moving on, the toughest part was finding reliable, honest people to come in with us. We started with 7, went down to 5 for the longest time, then down to 3 when I finally shut it down two years ago.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm still out here too. Haven't had anything to post in quite a while, but I did actually go out to the garage today and work on the car for the first time in months. I am retiring in january and will head south for the winter. Since I will have plenty of time when I get back in the spring, I plan to paint and reassemble the car as soon as the weather permits. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here, but still Northeast.

Not a lot of Mustangs here in Maine, my Dad and I are hard at work on a '57 Bel Air.

Still searching for that perfect Mustang, though.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts