Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience, tips or preferably pictures of aluminum seats installed in a 64-66 mustang? Did you use the seat pans? Modify them? remove them and use square tube??

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
With an aluminum seat like you have, you should use a square tubing frame underneath it and adjust the rake of the seat with the framework. Otherwise you'll probably be sitting too straight up and a little crooked......

Gary

·
Registered
118 Posts
a friend did the actual work mounting my kirkey. you can see pics in my profile. i think he had to fab a couple brackets out of some angle iron?? but the floor pans/seat pans remained unmodified. using washers as shims we were able to get the rake that i was comfortable with.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have a Kirkey seat in my car and its mounted with 2 pieces of 90 degree angle extruded aluminum...not sure on the thickness of the aluminum...maybe 3/16". I just drilled a number of holes in it to allow seat adjustment for rake and forward and backward movement. You'll have to test fit the seat for location to get a starting point....then go a bit back and forward on the holes. I think I used 3 or 4 holes an inch apart to allow for adjustment. I got lucky and one of them was just right. If I had to do it over again I would make them closer together....maybe 3/4". I mounted the brackets on the stock seat pans. Good luck. :winkgrin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts