Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking strongly about a Cobra kit car. I'm telling myself by the time I finish my open track/autocross/cruise night 66 Stang, I could have bought a Factory Five kit. Any VMFers been down this road and were disappointed? SWMBO says she wants me to keep the 66 even if I do get one, but to be realistic, I probably would have to sell it. I don't know what it would be like to be Mustangless. Thoughts?

Jeff

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree with your SHMBO. Keep the 66 and build the cobra out of pocket. It will take longer, but you can enjoy a nice car in the interim. :: Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
i know this isnt the wanted section but i have a guy i work with that has a cobra kit car he is thinking of selling. it has a fresh 428 and a toploader has nine inch in the back car still needs alot of work to be finished he is looking for 8000.00 if he decides to sell i personally would stick with the mustang

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
Better go look at Foolbay, under just plain Shelby, and see ALL those recently completed kit cars. All brands. Could there be something wrong with that?

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
Let me rephrase my logic. How many of those kit cars get bid up even close to the investment that Mr Gee I Gotta Have One just put into it?
Modified Mustangs is one thing but what's the first thing you look at when you see a Cobra kit car? Is it real?
Whats the first thing the owner is telling people? Something like "no it's not a kit car, it's a custom built car." Yada-Yada.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Try www.clubcobra.com and see if you can find some people in your area willing to give you a ride in some of the different makes. I did this and I was able to check out a few. My favorite is Superformance. It's a high quality kit that looks like the original. Though you won't have the satisfaction of building the car yourself because they are delivered finished sans drivetrain. Factory 5 makes good quality kits, though you'll find positives and negatives with almost any manufacture.

Good Luck, soon you'll be snake bitten

James

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Personally ( I hope i dont offend anyone) I think the Factory Five kit is a POS. But I have yet to meet an owner who doesnt love it. Maybe thats because thats the only cobra they've owned too. I highly suggest you purchase the complete guide to Cobra Replicas. Very informative, covers about every cobra kit maker out there and it gives a good comparison of factory five kits vs some of the other very reputable kits. Theres ALOT of cobra replica companies out there.

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Heres something nobody seems to see until they have built one...Cobra kit cars are almost always better built than original ones. Theres alot of great kits out there, but more junk ones too. Shop around and do your home work. Good luck, Id keep the stang, but funds would be needed on any kit car.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
C'mon Jeff! :eek:

SNAP out of it!

Think about all the fun we had in Tulsa this year. Sticking throttles,..blowin up superchargers, flat spotting brand new tires, getting chewed in the pits for "RACING"? :: (green flag, racetrack, group 1....duh?,..go figure)

Now think about how much MORE fun it would be if you were out on the track playing with us too.

Get the 66' fixed and get on out there too! ::

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll tell ya Charlie, it was watching the Factory Five Spec racers at the NASA event last weekend at Motorsports Ranch that really got the wheels turning. BTW, I am building a race motor based on a 302 roller motor. My "short" ride with you at Tulsa cost me plenty.

Lightning....I have looked at several Cobra manufacturer, even visted a few out of state. Sure, I'd much rather have a Shelby, Superformance, ERA, or even a Unique. Factory Five just fits my budget, and certainly fits the bill as a racer. Any other kit manufacturer have their own race series?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I vote against building one. There are always plenty of completed cars for sale. A buddy of mine built one and there are dozens of little niggling things to sort out. Buy one that already has the bugs worked out of it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts