Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine assembly has finally started. It's still gonna be weeks at this rate though.

The block has been coated, yes, coated. Not painted. I had them put the same thermal coating they used on the heads on the block and back the entire thing.

The crank has been mocked-up and looks pretty good.
http://www.kkpony.com/images/NewEngine/thumbs/20040803-crank_mock-up.jpg
...Click me...

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Hey Kent, what kind of RPM's are you looking at turning with this thing? This going to be a low RPM torque monster or a high RPM screamer? :D

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Kent, are you trying to set the record for the longest restoration, them most expensive one, or both? ::

Aren't you going to be afraid to drive that thing once it's done? It it is going to be such an awesome machine, I'd be petrified to take it out of the garage! ::

I do hope, though, that you do take it out of the garage, 'cause I want to see this car when it's done!

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am hoping it will be a mid-rpm torque monster. The goal is to keep the revs under 6K with a nice fat torque curve. We shall see...

The cam has yet to be specified, but will be a custom grind from Elgin.

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course I'm going to drive it. I drove it before, didn't I?

As for the records... longest was most definitely not on my list. Most expensive was also not one of my goals. All I was trying to accomplish with this build was to get a known-good engine that will not come apart on me like the last two did.

Keep your fingers crossed for me... ;)

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Were you running rev-limiters on the other two engines? I'm just curious because with the new 331 in mine, I noticed that I bump up against mine more than I thought I would... particularly when I first had it on the track. I've got a 6K limiter in there, and it was surprising to me that I hit it.

-bob

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the limiter set to 6200 RPM, with a theoretical float-point of 6400 on a good roller engine, that should have been safe.

I never got the 347 up to even 5K, it shook so bad.

I did hit the limit on the FRPP crate (the last engine) on occassion. This was due in part to the fact that the silly engine was still making good power up there and I do love the sound of a wound-out SBF engine ;) :p

I will have the limiter on this engine as well. I'll start with the same 6200 limit, but will adjust depending on the power-band. I am hoping to actually break the engine in on a dyno, so getting accurate numbers should be pretty easy.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sounds like progress is coming along just fine. The taking longer than I thought part I can totally relate with, and for that matter, the spending more money than I wanted too part also ::. Keep us posted on the rebuild, and of course pictures.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Taking longer than I thought...Who, where, huh? Spending more than i wanted to....Me? What?

I feel your pain and anticipation, you'll still be finished before me though. Going on 8 yrs.Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts