Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an email from the engine shop today with a few pictures of the work in progress. It is starting to look like I might have an engine in the next few weeks.

I added the pictures to my New Engine page, if you are interested. I can't imagine they are too exciting for you, but they mean a lot to me.

Now I just need a truck to haul the engine up to Rancho Cordova to tune/break it in on the dyno with Dan Fodge. U-Haul, here I come :)

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Dan Fodge knows what he is doing . When American Mustang was on Sunrise Blvd you could tell when Fogde was testing a car . The ground shook or he flew by at 70+ . Always was very impressive cars at his shop .

·
4,143 Posts
That is great news about the engine Kent. fd

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
What's your ETA for getting it back on the road?
::Don't be so impatient! It's like Dairy Queen, "Good things take time" ;)

Sexy parts Kent, I know you're anxious to get behind the wheel again.... ::

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh heck... Once I get the engine I have to schedule a run up to Dan Fodge to get it tuned and do the break-in on the engine dyno. That'll likely take me a couple of weeks to setup and execute.

Then the engine and drivetrain have to go into the car. But the driveshaft has to be ordered and built before that can be completed, which is a 2-6 week deal.

Then the car has to go to the exhaust shop to see about getting the 2.5" exhaust all the way out the valance, while going around and through the TCP rear coil-over setup. If that does not work then I have to do side-exit, which I really don't want because it will need to then look like a GT350 to carry it off right, which means a hood and side scoops...

Then it has to go to the alignment shop for a 4-wheel alignment. It can't go to just any shop anymore either, so I'll have to set something up with Custom Alignment. I have no idea what their work load is like, so can't guess what the leadtime will be on this.

If I am incredibly lucky, I may have it back on the road by the end of the year. THEN I have to decide whether the transmission choice was the right one (Straight-cut gears with dog-ring instead of synchros). If it's not then I will have to pull the trans out and figure out how much a rebuild will be with the G-Force synchro kit. Modern Driveline carries the G-Force stuff now, so I can work that out with Bruce if needs be.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,860 Posts
Sheesh Kent, I finally found out what takes longer to build than my house, YOUR ENGINE!! ::

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
It's good to see that you are also using Canton brace and 3.25 stroke, so I don't have to worry about clearance.

The direction of the wing from the valve guide on the intake port looks interesting. Is that to guide airflow from the middle of the cylinder in order to gain some swirl? I have understood that SBF heads have less swirl than chebby because the pushrod hole makes an unfortunate bend in the port.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Very, very nice Kent. Keep after it. It's a long road, but your gonna be one happy Stanger when it finished. Good for you! :: :: ::

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Hey KENT
I see your using the SVO balancer. What type of pulley set up are you going to run? v-belt or ribbed belt...and what accesories.
I'm running the same balancer and kinda torn at the moment on the V-belt pulley or the Serpentine belt. My only accessory is an alternator.
Of course you are going to post some DYNO number right? :)
Pete

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Thanks again for sharing. It looks like 2005 is a shot for you to get back on the road. Keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Why such a delay? I'm a big believer a successful project requires two of the following ingredients: unlimited time, unlimited money, quality. You clearly are going for quality, but you've certainly discounted the 'time' component, hopefully that means you aren't paying these guy much? If you are, I need to figure out their business plan - I'd love to charge my clients top dollar and take as long as I want - what a deal for me! :D

-bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.