Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a good week last week. I got quite a few things done on the car:
  • Install 4" longer steering column from Ididit
  • Replaced the 4.5-leaf springs from Canadian with 4-leaf from Mustangs Plus. The ride is much more supple now and the M+ springs are mid-eye on both ends, which keeps the pinion angle from changing in the process. The Canadian springs were only mid-eye on the front.
  • Got the A/C mount from the machinist. It's not perfect, but it'll do for the first effort.
  • Got the A/C compressor installed, hooked up and the system charged. The A/C works quite nicely.
  • Adjusted the valves again. They were not loose anyway.
  • Got the TCP motor mounts installed. Good thing too, as the A/C compressor has less than 1/2" of clearance between it and the TCP brace.
  • Had the windshield replaced. The old one was original Carlite and looked like it had been sandblasted.
The A/C does make the car run hotter, but it only goes to 210, which is ok. If I turn off the A/C it drops right back down to 180 in only a few minutes too.

I wonder if a bigger radiator is in order? Nah...

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Sure do need the AC this week. Sounds like your making much better progress than me currently. I'll play catch up next week when it cools down.

Mark

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Kent

if you want your radiator to cool down as much as possible
even with the AC on have it heat dispersant coated.

cars with cylinder heads, intakes and radiators as well as oil pans and coolers have shown up to 30 degrees drop in engine compartment temperatures.

This means longer oil, belt and hose life!!!

Not to mention electrical wiring in the engine bay!!!

give Don Redmon a call 888-881-6531

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Kent,
You know you want the new radiator. Don't go into denial.

What if you get caught in traffic? What if it goes to 110?

What if you have a free weekend and nothing good (sports) is on TV?

Start looking at the ads and the bank balance ASAP. Planning is essential.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only way to get a larger radiator in there would be to enlarge the opening in the radiator support and change to a cross-flow radiator. I am not ready to cut on the support yet.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Kent.....which muffler opening config did you go with?

front center rear outter?

???

I know the TCP subframe connectors would change a normal config.....

ALso, where did you put your temp sensor for the coolant?

And did you use a driveshaft loop?

thanks
R

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mufflers are 2.5" inlet (side, inner) and 2.5" outlet (center). Take a look at my "Exhaust" page for a picture of the setup.

The temp sensor for the coolant is in the intake manifold. The ECU does all the of the magic, like turning on the fan and such.

I do not currently have a driveshaft loop. I may have to look into it, but the TCP braces do pretty much the same job.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Kent
You might want to look into "Purple Ice" by Royal Purple. I noticed it's in my new Northern Auto catalog and also saw it on one of the car shows last weekend on TNN. They say.....it will reduce temps up to 20 degrees. I'm thinking of getting some for my 69 Mach 1 when we get back from vacation. Good luck.
Ken

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
You've gotten whimpy on us!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif Air conditioning!!! Next you'll need a 351 to keep the torque when starting at stop lights with the A/C on. HAHAHAHAHA

Did the TCP motor mounts give you any more engine clearance - I asked the guys at Mustangs + and they said the mount height was the same as '66 mounts?

G

·
0 Posts
I installed the mounts on a 351w in my 65...it gave me a bit more room...not sure that I could have got everything to work without them.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The mounts I was running were 1970, and were actually a bit taller than the 1966. The TCP mounts are a bit shorter than the 1970 mounts, but I don't know if they are the same height as a 1966 or not.

One advantage of the TCP mounts is that they are adjustable laterally, which means that you can actually move the engine sideways a little bit if you need to. I had to push it all the way over to the passenger side to get more clearance for the headers on the driver side.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Your car is awesome! One of the nicest I've seen.

I'm drooling all over your suspension. How do you like that TCP power rack?

$$$

1 - 13 of 13 Posts