Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a new wire stripper and saw three versions on ebay made by Klein. All are around $20 to $30. Which one is recommended for automotive wiring?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Klein makes nice stuff. I have a cheap taiwanese knock off similar to the klein 11063w that I really like. If that is one of your choices, it could be a good one.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Not sure if there is one "recommended" for automotive use. An insulted wire is an insulated wire. I have on occasion wished I had one of the compact strippers when working in close quarters like under the dash.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Without knowing which ones I'd say whichever is smaller to get into tight spaces.
The all in one with crimpers and screw cutters are fine and handy until you need them in a tight space. I have a couple of those that came in kits of stak-ons for crimping ends.

Ideal makes good ones as well. I have one of each now and kinda hate when i use the Ideal because it has the lock closed lever that works too well and flops to lock a lot with certain motions.

Klein 11045 or 46 Neither lock and both under $12 on Amazn

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Without knowing which ones I'd say whichever is smaller to get into tight spaces.
The all in one with crimpers and screw cutters are fine and handy until you need them in a tight space.
I got a set off the truck that works well in tight spaces. We use a wide variety of most Klein at the day gig but these worked better for me particularly under the dash on an installed harness. The difference with what I have now is the crimper and cutter are on the end and not the middle like the Channel Locks. It’s easy to strip then crimp in a tight space. Expensive but made in Milwaukee with US steel by people making more than 4 bucks an hour.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I have a pair of Ideal wire strippers that I've been using for 30 years. The majority of my electrical hand tools are either Klein or Ideal, can't go wrong with either. Home Depot usually has a good selection.

1. Ideal Wire strippers
I second this one, it's a real time saver. Wired my house with this.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Klein for stripping. Lindström for diagonals and regular wire pliers.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
STRIPPER FIGHT!:eek:

Ive never used an auto stripper so wonder how they are with hard as a rock antique insulation that might not want to slide off of semi-corroded copper. Do you need a whole 'nother tool to cut wires loose and to length?
The Snap-On looks nice. I like that the stripper portion is close to the handle where you will use double-thumb leverage for tough stripping without moving you hand like the all in on type with the stripper on the end but where is the cutter? Again, if you're in a tight spot you have to be mindful of the end sticking out beyond what you are stripping. and what it might accidentally pinch. BTDT!

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Strictly for automotive stripping and crimping, I'd recommend the OTC 5950S. It was also sold by Mac Tools as the WSC7. Great tool that has everything you need and nothing you don't.

or the 90* model

·
Registered
20,209 Posts
I think the differences are going to be the accessories on the pliers such as cutting screws and crimping. As far as stripping insulation, they're going to be the same. Look at each one and see between size and other things they do what works best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts