Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine told me that a restoration is the same as standing knee deep in parts and ripping up $100 bills...I now officially understand what he meant.

After 2 years and 2X the money that I budgeted, I thought that I could finally get a chance to drive my Mach 1. Noooooooo, the engine is coming out for a rebuild. We tried everything to combat the overheating but no dice. I'm guessing the culprit was poor prep for storage when she was garaged. Is there a special award category for extended duration doofus's or is this a gimme since I'm still a newbie? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

While the engine is out, I plan to have the flywheel resurfaced and replace the clutch. Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should go with a diaphragm style pressure plate vs the three finger style pressure plate? What should else should I consider while the engine is out? Or better yet, what do you wish you would have done when you did your rebuild?

On a positive note, the SWMBO has finally come around to the idea that we need a 67 or 68 cougar. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Thanks,

Alvin

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
You should be pleased if your only 2x over budget, I bet average is 3-4. I guess my rule of thumb on what else to do while engine is out anything you can think of, pretty vague but it works. Of course engine comparment.

Keep on trucking it will get there.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Count yourself lucky. After a year, I'm still trying to convince the SWMBO that we need a Mustang!

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
I concur with MYTOYS as I am in the 3-4 times over the original budget. I was infected with "while i am at it" disease, and have yet to stop 9 months later.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Well, if you haven't done it already...

...super-detail the engine compartment.
...install that new master cylinder with power brakes or disc brakes.
...install that new AC system.
...take out that old front end wiring harness and install a brand new one.

Have fun! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
680 Posts
What is a "Budget"??? Only way to fix a Mustang is to get a scoop shovel to toss the money into it with...And, "Don't keep no receipts"...Evidence in divorce court....

·
Registered
313 Posts
To answer the clutch question, if useing the Z-bar set up. I'd use the 3-finger style. If your useing the hyd/ clutch, set up, go w/ the diaphragm.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
My sister put her hands on her hips and said, "Jeff, you know you've got to have real deep pockets for a car restoration project!" My brother-in-law, who has restored several and done a couple street rods said, "Whatever you think it will cost triple it! Whatever time you think it will take, triple it! Like a fool I charged into it anyway (instead of buying that sharp restomod car I dreamed of owning). Okay, three years later and too much money spent to tell you I spent it and its finally done. Damn am I happy! I've learned my lesson! Next time I'll buy one finished from someone who's a car nut and can't wait to get to his next restoration! Well, I've said I wanted to do it and now its done... Damn, I'm happy!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the much needed grin...I'm doubling down and seeing what I can do to get to 4x.

The brakes and engine detail are done or planned with the engine out but I'll give the wiring harness another look. The clutch will go back in with the 3 finger style. The only other thing I can think of is to upgrade the alternator for the audio system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts