Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had this happen? I had just finished cutting my grass and came in for a cool one this evening when the door bell rings. A young woman (30 ish) Asked me if I owned the Mustang in the garage and would I be interested in selling it? :: :: I know this has happened to you guys/gals at gas stations and other places but has a stranger ever rang your door bell and asked to buy your ride? BTW..I told her thanks but my 11 year old daughter has first right of refusal on the car.. She understood and asked if she could come in the garage.. the woman hung around for about 30 minutes talking about how she always wanted one just like mine.. I gave her the URL to this forum.. maybe she'll stop in.

It gave me one of those warm and fuzzy feeling to know that people would stop at a stranger's house to try to get my car..

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Yup warm fuzzies all over.

Happens quite frequently here. We live on a corner with a garage door on each side. If either or both of those doors are open we can count on having visitors. Usually five to seven stangs in the garage.
Annoys Mike because he likes to work with the garage door open, but then people feel free to just walk right in.

Earlier this week after our car show, we were moving cars around had several in the garage, driveways, and front of the house as we were reorganizing.
A young lady drives by and asks if we'll be home that evening because she needs to talk to us. I'm thinking "Oh no a sales person" and ask "what for?" She paused and got a big grin sayings "your cars." I told her to come by after 5 pm.
Later she shows up and starts talking about the cars. Says "I just adore KAOS." I couldn't believe she even knew the cars name. She said "OH yeah, Sugarplum, Poppy, Pinkie, Nytmare..." I was stunned she could name them.
I told her I was surprised. She said she drives by all the time hoping the garage door is open.
I asked her if she had seen the new red convertible CRISIS. The look on her face was priceless.
Anyway she went on to explain she is the coordinator for the local high school Home Coming and wants to know if we would bring three convertibles for the royalty to parade in after the football game.
So seems we will be doing a good deed Sept. 26 and promoting Mustangs to an entire High School.

Another time a guy came wanting to buy PINKIE to use as decor for his oldies type soda fountain/diner.

You just never know who's watching.

J.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That happened to me a couple of years ago, while my car was still in pieces. Seems they had a friend in the local Mustang club. When they mentioned to him that they wanted to buy one, he gave 'em a list of addresses where Mustangs were sitting. I guess since I was taking so long they figured I wasn't doing anything with it. ::

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The guy that reads my electric sometimes pauses for a bit.
He wants to buy my convert, but his SWMBO is pushing for a PT Cruiser soon.
I have actually knocked on many doors to ask about a Mustang I have spotted. You never know what may happen.
Today I went to check on an 88 GT 5.0 that was behind a fence and I could only see that there was a late model 4 lug
pony wheel sitting out. Parked beside it was a High country Special in sad shape. Not for sale!!! He is going to fix it up some day. I will get the 88 because it is cheap and it runs. I have probably aproached 100+ houses to ask about
a Mustang...Between me and my bro we have 21 mustangs now!
I thought about curing this illness but the cure was worse!
Bruce (TX)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
i knocked on a door 4 years ago. i was in pa, coming home from a friends house. i saw the car in the back yard and asked if he would sell. he said the car was worth 500 to him ,i said sold! you never know.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I just had a offer from an older gentlemen this past weekend at my 1st car show I entered. Its amazing what people will ask. Of course I said not for sale ::

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Since my house is at the end of a 450-ft drive, I've never had anyone just stop by. But I have had notes left on my windshield and casual inquiries at stoplights and in parking lots.

It is flattering, but most people really don't have any idea of how much time and money it takes to restore an old car. When I tell them what the cars are worth, it often shocks them.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're exactly right. They think they can plunk down 5 grand for a fully restored classic.. when you tell them you have 25k and too many hours of work in the car they freak out. You can almost see the gleam in their eye go "poof"!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts