Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1972 ford mustang v8 302 fastback and when im going down some roads not every road i get this loud knocking noise near my front left tires could that be the springs, shocks, coils etc.? please help me !!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does it happen when you go over a dip? Or just driving along? Does it sound like a bad pop?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its worse on roads that are like bumpy but it sounds like a knocking noise liek the tire is hitting the car also if i get ne wleaf springs in the rear wil lthat make my car sit up higher in the back

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Please describe the road conditions and speed conditions along with what you hear...the more detail the better *G*

IOW, does it change from a smooth road to bumpy road, from fast to slow, from speeding up to slowing down, turning, etc....

Get back to us with some more details...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
like going strsight downa bumpy road sometimes the road dosent evn have to be real bumpy and at speeds of 35-80 mph

·
Registered
6,070 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
I would carefully check out all of the rubber bushed areas (i.e. front stablizer bar bushings,upper and lower control arm bushings and ball joints, lower spring perch ,sway bar,etc.) If any one of the bushings has been completely beaten out, it can definately cause the noise you are describing.

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 pickup

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Have you ever replaced any of the front suspension components? If so, when and what ones?

When was the last time the car was in for an alignment? They usually inspect parts at that time...

Do you get any cracking noises when braking heavily to a complete stop? How about after the stop when you start out again?

More diagnostics....gonna run the gas tank dry...*G*

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts