Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Knowledge ('64 1/2 D-Codes)

3470 89
Hi my name is Nathanquestion and see if somebody can give me some knowledge on my 65, 64 1/2? hardtop So My question is is it rare is it valuable / So it is stamped datedDecember 30thof 1964 So that would make it the 65 correct But then I get confused because it's the d code So isn't a d code a 1964 and a half no matter whatAnd don't they stopmaking the 64 and 1/2 at April 17th or something? And does anybody know the last one made in 1964 and mine is made December 30thAnd it's technically a 64 and 1/2 I thinkDid I have the last one made that would be so sweet?
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

· Registered
1970 Ford Mustang, Windsor 302 V8, C4 Automatic Transmission, Holley 600 Carburetor
800 Posts
1964.5 Mustangs were some D Codes. They D Code was discontinued after the 1964 year. I would reword what you are trying to say. That way, more people here have the chance to help you.

· Registered
836 Posts
My question would be how do you know the build date or where are you getting that information from? From the door tag or the last numbers on the VIN? If from the door tag, does it match your VIN on the fender? If you actually have a December 30th build date then I'd doubt your car was the last one produced in 1964 as there were 3 plants that pumped out over a million mustangs in the first two years of production (1965-1966). Since I like math and numbers... let's say there were 500k mustangs produced in 1964-1965, although I'm sure there were more than in 1966 as "1965" was technically a year and a half in length. Anyway, 500k mustangs divided by 3 plants is roughly 167k mustangs out of each plant on an annual basis, divided by 365 days in a year would give you roughly 458 mustangs coming out of each plant on a daily basis, or just under 1,400 mustangs coming out of the 3 total plants on a daily basis. So, your one mustang out of almost 1,400 cars coming out on a single day? Probably not likely, but it could be likely that your car was the last one to come out of it's particular plant, but that's even still a roughly 1/458 chance. Obviously I'm just using the 500k figure as an estimate but you get the idea.

· Registered
1970 Ford Mustang, Windsor 302 V8, C4 Automatic Transmission, Holley 600 Carburetor
800 Posts
What do the parts have of any significance to your car? If I am not mistaken either, that appears to be a 2-barrel carburetor in the picture.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry trying to learn how to navigate this period so. So my information comes from my title and
Motor vehicle Font Wood Gas Audio equipment
Motor vehicle Font Wood Gas Audio equipment
which vin is their too.
Rectangle Purple Violet Font Material property
Rectangle Purple Violet Font Material property

my name plate on the door. So I after i read that math answer I forget what I read. Lol .so I'm at 64 and a 1/2 or 65

· Registered
800 Posts
So you're saying I don't have the d code engine just the vin number is wrong? Thank you for everybody's responses by the way. I'm just trying to know what I have so I can say it the right way.
What I find odd is that the date on your VIN has the 5 which means it's a 1965 mustang. But, the D in the middle does mean it's a D-Code. Possibly the VIN is incorrect. Check under the hood where the fender apron is for another VIN.

· Registered
800 Posts
I believe we need to dissect things a little. Most people on here including myself are a bit confused. What is the build date from the VIN of your car again? You said it was December of 1964?

· Premium Member
15,634 Posts
Door tags can be purchased with any codes you want stamped into them because it says right there on the tag "Not For Title or Registration Purposes". If your car has a complete '66 front clip you don't really know what the VIN from the firewall back was. You may have a fictitious door tag and therefore a fictitious title.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.