Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they really adjustable or is that only a name?

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,396 Posts
Name only. They are a little harsh.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Or perhaps the worst shocks you can buy for a vintage mustang.
the KYB GR-2 is much better. Bilsteins are way better

Reactions: John_in_SC

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Jsams, Is their more than one bilstein available? If so, which do you recommend?

Frank S.
There are street, sport and race versions. I have modified suspension so I run the sport version. For a softer ride I would run the street.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I switched from KYB Gas-a-Just to Bilstein sports. It is true, the Bilsteins are much better. If you want a stock, grocery getter, ride get the streets. If you want something a little stiffer, but NOT harsh, go with the sports.

BTW, there is only one rear shock valving available and they work fine with street, sport or race front shocks.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I switched from KYB Gas-a-Just to Bilstein sports. It is true, the Bilsteins are much better. If you want a stock, grocery getter, ride get the streets. If you want something a little stiffer, but NOT harsh, go with the sports.

BTW, there is only one rear shock valving available and they work fine with street, sport or race front shocks.
Describe better!
Seems to me every one who has them just says “better” with no explanation as to what the difference is for a street driven vehicle, terms like harsh are subjective at best.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
KYBs feel good on the front. They are firmer and the car seems to handle better. They are very stiff on the rear. At lower speeds, rear KYBs don't react much to moderate bumps. For instance, crashing over speed humps and potholes. But at higher speeds/ loads they offer some benefits. I think the initial engagement takes some force, but once they are under load they "adjust". At low loads, the nitrogen gas pressure forces the shock upward to be a bit stiffer than comfortable. Expensive shocks have 2-way valves. Monotube KYB shocks are a compromise to this. The compressibility of nitrogen gas is the "adjustment". This was quite revolutionary when they were first marketed decades ago. They were "better" than cheap OEM, and much cheaper than European shocks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Or perhaps the worst shocks you can buy for a vintage mustang.
the KYB GR-2 is much better. Bilsteins are way better
+1 on the Bilsteins. Put em on mine - night and day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been looking around trying to find Bilsteins with different tunes for front suspension, but I can't find what everyone is discussing. Is there a model number I should look for or a specific vendor I can look at to find street, sport, or track tunes? Great info from everyone. 😁

Frank S.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have been looking around trying to find Bilsteins with different tunes for front suspension, but I can't find what everyone is discussing. Is there a model number I should look for or a specific vendor I can look at to find street, sport, or track tunes? Great info from everyone.

Frank S.
I'd check with Shaun at Street or Track or John and Sherri at Opentracker racing products. Both are great people to deal with and an asset to our hobby.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The old mustangs seem to like a soft compression and a stiff rebound in their Shock valving.
The KYB Gas-a-just seems to be opposite this. Insanely stiff in compression.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Describe better!
Seems to me every one who has them just says “better” with no explanation as to what the difference is for a street driven vehicle, terms like harsh are subjective at best.
Better = more sure footed. Stays in contact with the road better (there's that word again) on poor pavement. In short, it is a smoother ride and no loss of cornering performance.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I have been looking around trying to find Bilsteins with different tunes for front suspension, but I can't find what everyone is discussing. Is there a model number I should look for or a specific vendor I can look at to find street, sport, or track tunes? Great info from everyone. 😁

Frank S.
You will not find the shocks in the Bilstein catalog. These shocks are modified & marketed by RCD, Race Car Dynamics and sold through vendors like Street or Track. The street front and rear shocks are available at shockwarehouse.com at the best cost I could find. For the sports you will be looking at Street or Track and Opentracker as two good sources.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I guess I kinda high-jacked this thread from kechke, sorry about that. Everyone here has been great help to me and I ordered a set of shocks yesterday. I looked at Race Car Dynamics, Shock Warehouse, Street & Track, and Open Tracker. The only one I could see that had a listing for my 1965 Ranchero was Open Tracker, so I went with them. I know my Ranchero chassis has a lot of similarities to Mustangs of that same era, but I don't know the subtle differences so it is nice to see my model listed.

I see Open Tracker also has allot of information for reasonable street mods for handling, cool stuff. I just had my front end redone with mostly stock parts and it handles very, very good, but I think it can be improved more. The Bilsteins were an easy "next step".

I mostly drive like my grandma, but I do like to "drag a knee" once in a while. (loose reference to motorcycling background)

Thanks to all, Frank S.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts