Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a previous post i asked about the steps taken before i dye vynil seats. Someone suggested i clean the seats with laquer thinner before using hte vynil prep. Would mineral spirits do the same job? Just asking cause i already have mineral spirits and would have to buy laquer thinner.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Doesn't mineral spirits leave a slight greasy film? Or am I just imagining things :p

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Laquer thinner and mineral spirits are two different solvents. Laquer thinner is specially formulated for laquer. It does not work well as a thinner or cleaner for other types of paints and stains. Mineral spirits do not cut through crap as well, but I've had good sucess with it on vinyl. Alcohol, the pure stuff, really supples up the vinyl and is an excellent cleaning agent. Use caution with it, as it actually can dissolve a good many plastics. I use the wipe on/ wipe off method on a bright sunny day so it does not stay on the material long.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
200 proof. I was able to "obtain" some while I was still working for a certain company as we used it to clean the tubing in our vacuum systems and to wash out cells (glassware). Denatured is the closest, as rubbing has some other ingredients. Pure alcohol is an excellent cleaner. It'll even clean your clock ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.