Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body using a new Lares steering box in their Mustang?
I am presently using a Flaming River box that I think is made in Argentina. It has worked fine for over ten years ( lots of miles) with original power steering set up. As you know the way that the o/e PS operates there is very little strain on the steering box as all it does is input the p/s valve.
For the past few years I have a Vue EPAS set up with the FR steering box operating manual steering from the Pittman arm to the wheels.
The FR box now seems to have developed a bit of slop so I am looking to replace it with a new Lares box.
If I still had the o/e Ford box I would get Chock to rebuild it but it is long gone.
I wonder how the Lares box stands up to a manual steering set up!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the Lares box in my manual steering 68. I'm not super happy with it, but it's the best of the 3 steering boxes I've been through.

It's better than the OE box that came with the car which was worn out, and it's better than the rebuilt OE box I bought which came with slop in it and which I adjusted to the point I didn't feel comfortable with due to binding and still having slop. But the brand new Lares still has slop. Less than the others, and feels good once it starts turning, but still that small dead spot in the center.

I adjusted it a bit which made it better, but haven't really tried any more since I am planning on a Borgeson power steering replacement next year. Unless I'm completely crazy, the adjustment retaining nut on the Lares box is a lot larger than the one on the OE box and I had to buy a new socket to adjust it.

And yeah all the slop was in the boxes because I could grab the brand new rag joint with my fingers and wiggle it.

If I had it to do all over again and had the patience to wait, I would go with Chock. I asked him about sending me a new rebuilt box and then sending him back the original box afterwards so I could get the car on the road quicker. He said he could do it, but he was on vacation at the time and I couldn't wait for him to get back. Probably worth asking him about just straight up buying one.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Judging by the part number, LARES 18830 New Manual Gear. The part number is similar to a rebuilt box, 8830, which is a 16:1 ratio manual or power steering box. According to oreillyauto.com/ it has 4 turns to lock. The box is over $700 at O'Reilly and $275 at RockAuto.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
The NEW steering boxes either come from China, or US ASSEMBLED items from Argentina. No others are available.
The China boxes we have been sent, of course free, are Junk. We tried to adjust to specs, not a chance. Sent to Randy (Stanger) he also stated pure junk.
So, the end result on this is the original box- IF rebuildable is the best option.
Again the China boxes are not good, the Argentina assembled in US are worse.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
If only there was somebody that could rebuild or supply an original steering box restored to like new condition. Man, that would be awesome! ^^^^^^^^

Reactions: coupesix

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have a 68 box to send for rebuild, what are my options?

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts