Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some research but I can't find what any clear answers or any good photos... The PO had some jenky homemade plates covering these slots.... what is supposed to go there? I was planning to fab some covers but if something already exists, I'd gladly purchase instead. The one on the left was covered in my car, so what normal protrudes through?

I know the slot on the right is for my AC hoses... but I cannot find the correct grommet for the life of me.

1968 coupe 289

Attachments

·
Registered
35,222 Posts
The oval on the RH side of the car is a partially removed factory AC hole. The one on the left side of the car is for dealer-installed or aftermarket under-dash AC.

What sort of heat/AC are you planning?

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
On a '68, the oval hole on the passenger side of the picture is for the heater hoses on a factory in dash A/C equipped car. The oval on the driver's side of the picture is for the A/C hoses on an underdash A/C for a '65-'66 car. The '68 convertible project I did several yeas ago did not have an oval blank or hole on the driver's side of the firewall. not sure why it exists on your '68.

The large irregular shaped grommet for the '68 A/C covers both the oval hole and the large round hole where the A/C hoses come through the firewall.

Here's a link to Classic Auto Air online catalog with diagrams and part numbers for the grommet and associated parts:

http://www.classicautoair.com/Catalog/MustangCatalog5thEdition.pdf

look up page 15

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the confusion... I meant that I know the slot on the right of the picture (Drivers side of the car) is where my AC enters.

I have an underdash AC unit. The PO had the hoses routed through the slot on the drivers side of the car with a jenky thin plate with 2 holes cut out of it and then covered in some sort of goop around the hoses.

I am running a heater unit for non-AC cars. The heater hoses protrude through the 2 holes on the passenger side, and the slot was covered by a thin plate covered in goop to seal it and 2 sheet metal screws.

I guess the slot on the passenger should have never been punched out?? Does anyone make a cover plate or am I SOL? I could make something fairly easily and tack weld it in place... but the motor is in now and re-painting that area would be a pain...

Also- I think I need the grommet and bracket for a 65-66 to seal up the slot on the drivers side. Is that correct?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts