Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to go 17" or maybe 17/18" rims on my 65 coupe and was curious what other people have run as far as pics and offsets, etc. It seams like nobody runs anything too big. I also am not tubbed, but can roll the fender lips. Please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
Personally I would not go any bigger than 17". The best way to go about it is to order rims that have the correct offset (consult with the manufacturer), the cheapest way to go is buy factory "take-offs" ie Bullitt's, and use wheel adapters.

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,384 Posts
Bagillion posts about this already, the search feature will bring up reading material for months!

17x8 with 4.75" backspacing and 235/45/17 tires all round is a pretty sure thing on the 65-66 cars.

Here is my car with that size combo on a American Racing Classic TTII (CL205):

http://www.streetortrack.com/files/vmf/newwheels.jpg

·
Registered
759 Posts
Your brake package may determine offset and backspacing numbers as well. Your best bet is to measure your current wheel and determine where you can go with it (positive or negative offset changes, diameter, turning radius, etc.)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
American Racing CL-205's 17" X 8" w/ 4.75" backspacing

Front 225/45/17
Rear 245/45/17 (I could have fit 255/45/17 and will upsize as soon as I wear these out).

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of putting these Roush 18" wheels on mine. Plenty of naysayers, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I am going to send these out to get chromed (because my car definitely needs a chrome wheel) and buy the adapters. If they dont look good, I'll just sell them and go with something else. In these pics, the wheel is placed where it would sit with the adapters and the jack is under the suspension so this is exactly where it would sit in the wheelwell.

http://www.ssstangs.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10043/normal_RoushWheel2.JPG

http://www.ssstangs.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10043/normal_RoushWheel3.JPG

http://www.ssstangs.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10043/normal_RoushWheel1.JPG

·
Registered
632 Posts
I agree, looks great. Any more pictures? What combo of parts or cutting did you do to get the drop in front and back? thanks

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
I was toying with the idea of the 06 wheels that look similar to Edelbrock 454's, but they are only 16" and don't look toooo similar either.

·
Vendor
5,384 Posts
TcodeV8 said:
I agree, looks great. Any more pictures? What combo of parts or cutting did you do to get the drop in front and back? thanks
Nothing crazy. Front has the UCA lowered 1" and the 620 coils cut until I liked the stance. Rear has 4.5 leaf mid eye springs.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Andrei said:
I am looking to go 17" or maybe 17/18" rims on my 65 coupe and was curious what other people have run as far as pics and offsets, etc. It seams like nobody runs anything too big. I also am not tubbed, but can roll the fender lips. Please let me know. Thanks
Define too big. I've seen 18 and 20s. I personally run 17s though with 245 in the front and 255 in the rear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those look great on your car and I agree with refinishing. Thank you to everyone that responded. I know that 17x7 & 17x8 are the safe bet, of course in some sort of Torque Thrust, but I am looking to be just a little different. Thanks again for the input and I will post pics after I decide & purchase.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mustang Unlimited says if you use 17X8's on 65-66 cars you have to use a lowered upper control arm!
Do you? I am loooking at 17X8's with 4.750 backspace and -11mm offset. And 15X6's with 3 3/8 backspace with -2mm offset.
215/65/15 FRONTS
255/45/17 REARS
Do you all think that will fit? I do but would like some input before I order $1500 worth of tires and wheels.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Shaun your car looks amazing!!! Definitely one of my favorites. Now I just wanna make sure I'm not confused here. The CL-205's are they 4.75" or 3.75"? Or are they available in both?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Deviousfred said:
Shaun your car looks amazing!!! Definitely one of my favorites. Now I just wanna make sure I'm not confused here. The CL-205's are they 4.75" or 3.75"? Or are they available in both?
Oops, I just scanned up to my post and noticed that I posted "American Racing CL-205's 17" X 8" w/ 3.75" backspacing". That is incorrect! The correct sizing is:
American Racing CL-205's 17" X 8" w/ 4.75" backspacing
Sorry if anyone got confused, I have also edited my original post.

Tim

·
Vendor
5,384 Posts
Deviousfred said:
Thanks! As the CL205 is a custom built wheel, you can get the 17x8 in .25" increments from 3.75 to 5.75. 4.75" of backspacing is the one you want for a 65-66 though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
if your not sure ask Shaun about his wheel measuring tool he rents, i used it and i know i can get 17x8 with a 4.75 bs on the front and 17x9.5 with 5.75 bs on rear on my 67 coupe with 4 wheel disc brakes

note i took into consideration i will have to roll rear fenders with 17x9.5 but it is worth it to me!
http://www.streetortrack.com/Wheelrite-Wheel-Tire-Simulator-RENTAL-pr-23561.html

1 - 20 of 32 Posts