Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone on the junkyard turbo list got T3 turbo flanges laser cut really cheap in quantity. Think we could do this for mark VII brackets?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Shagg,

Do you need Mark VII brackets? I have a complete set that I was going to use on my "street boss" engine, but I did not go serpentine. I also have the water pump, power steering pump, alternator, a/c compressor and tensioner. The only problem with one of the brackets is the smog pump bracket arm is broken off. I didn't need it for my application so it didn't matter to me. Let me know if you need any of this stuff before I get sell it off!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I think he means mark VII rear disc brake brackets.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Our first run of brackets were cut by computer controlled flame cutting. While this worked they were not able to cut the holes for us and the "arm" on the main bracket would move a few 100ths from heat build up. This prohibited us from setting up a good jig to assist in drilling all of the holes. Which is 22 holes per set. Drilling pilot holes then a size in between then the final hole. So it ended up to approx.66 holes per set times 20. SOOooo it was over 1300 holes. Not doing that again. You should see the scar.

Now this run was done by a water jet process with high-pressure water & silica. The cuts appear to be like a machine cut. Very nice. And the most important thing is the consistence of the product, something we couldn't match with flame cutting. When you line up 40 set of brackets and they are over 15" in height and every hole is in perfect alignment, this is what we want for the cost.

While we did have to raise the price 5.00, this procedure was a little more expensive along with the numerous hours in front of Auto Cad drawing all of this out and several trips gathering material & meeting with the machinist, separating grade 8 bolts, yadi....yada......ya. We felt that this is a pretty decent deal.

If anyone knows of a business (laser cut process) in the Houston area please contact me & I will research it. If we can get it done for less we can lower the price more. That is what we want to do, is a quality product for fellow hobbyis at the lowest price possible. ::

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
My bad! I was confused! ::

1 - 8 of 8 Posts