Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum has been extremely helpful.

I'm still working to knowing more about my car. I'm confused on the Tie Rods. What are they? I looked in my Hayne's Guide and it is not shown there. Is it the strut? Or am I just confusing it with the Ends? I just want to make sure that I get everything I need today when I go to the junk yard.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You need the tie rod ends. The Granada spindle takes a different (larger) outer tie rod. Tie rod is what actually turns the spindle.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Art is right. Try to grab the outer tie rod end when you go there Jim. Take the entire brake assembly including the granada proportioning valve, which should be mounted to the inner fender. Also grab the little L-brackets which hold the brake line to the inner fender when the hose changes from flex hose at the brake to the hard line. If there are several granadas to choose from, try to get one that still has brake fluid in it. try to visually check out the brake rotors for obvious wear. I lucked out and my rotors were in excellent shape. I just needed to turn them. That saved me almost $125 on the conversion. So far I have $175 invested in my granada conversion. I paid $150 for the brake assy and its in good shape. I fully dissassembed everything and took the parts to the radiator shop and am having them hot tanked to get everything cleaned up. I'm going to replace the pads, piston seal, outer tie rods, and wheel bearings while everything is apart.

I always thought the tie rod was the rod which connected the steering arm to the idler arm. The inner tie rod end connects to the tie rod. The outer tie rod end connects to the spindle. The inners and outers are connected with the tie rod sleeve.

Please let us know how the grab goes.

·
Administrator
19,359 Posts
The "ends" are all you need. However they are often a real SOB to get off, especially in the junkyard. It may be easier to get the both tie rods, and take them apart at home.
This is what I did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts