Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post here and maybe our words will carry weight. At least lets try it for awhile. I usually have about 2 hours at a time I can spend on the forum. This allows me to catch up instantly on new posts. Now I have to search to find new ones. It also facilitates more discussion. Isn't that what this forum is all about?

My car and the VMF parking lot are at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The "last post to top" does not work well on a forum with this type of volume. When we were just getting going 2 days ago, I made a post about some Windsor heads. With the "last post to top" feature turned on, they were on the second page of 60 page per post in 15 minutes.

Yes, within 15 minutes a brand new post was burried into oblivion. The only posts that were getting answered were the same few that kept bouncing back to the top.

I vote to keep the way it is!

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the first 2 days have just been a little frantic. Lets try it for at least a week. Then we can have more to base our decisons on. You do have a vaild point Johnpro. I wish there was some option to select from. Guess you can't ask to much from a free site *shrugs*

My car and the VMF parking lot are at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
It was not given a fair shot. It's something that the board as a group needs to get used to. I have been on MUCH larger boards where it is used and it works much better. When you are talking volume like we are here, you need the post to top or you get multiple redundant threads.

FYI ... I just made this post, Bishir started the thread. What you want in a good forum is fewer threads with more posts.

The fear of the "I agree" Post is somewhat valid. However users generally learn rather quickly that if they are posting to the thread they need to offer a little more then the yes/no variety. You end up with more informed posts with greater detail. It is a win/win.

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT
Please bring back last post to top!

G

·
0 Posts
I agree. To many people are just saying hi and all the questions and mustang related suff is getting burried in the matter of minutes

Michael Wigton
1964.5 Mustang Convertible

G

·
0 Posts
We should try if for a week or so, and then take a vote....

TJ
66 coupe 302 2v c4 -daily driver
94 GT vert -SWMBO's
93 Aerostar - hauling stuff
50 Mercury Pickup - waiting to be restored, stored back home

G

·
0 Posts
Why we should not have last post to the top
KRSTANG
Handyman
SAEcertified
Blatherskiteguy
Need I say more!

Greg B

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I like it the way it is (and was on the old forum). As I've said before, high posting activity, redundant posts, and the ability to say anything you want are what makes VMF great. I think the pop-to-the-top thing stiffles a lot of this. However, we live in a democratic society. I think we should take a vote using the "poll" feature of this forum. I believe the administrator and moderator(s) have access to the poll feature. Wadayasay Bob, Midlife, whoever? Let's do the "majority rules" thing.

DanM

66 Coupe, check her out at [url]www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com[/url]

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. We should have a vote. Lets have the "Post to Top" back for a week and then Bob can post a poll. I too, was against the "post to top" procedure at first, but as I begun to realize it's benefits it was stripped away from me[exclamation]

BTW, nothing can stop 99KIARULES, and KRSTANG, nothing I say muhhaaaaaa

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
For information posters like myself who post primarily answers to questions, it makes my job much easier....

And I'm not having to repeat myself...

I'm finding, because of the growth spurt in members, that many questions are being asked over and over....that's ok but the basic answers remain much the same...

My vote is to push for the newbies to use the search engine more (I'm keywording my answers with that in mind) or bring old threads with new information back up so they can be viewed by others who didn't know they existed....
IOW....If I search back for an answer I provided to an old question and find the thread and bring it up, the user asking gets not only my answer but all the discussion about the subject....and any more which may take place...

I don't think that, with a group as diverse and thoughtful as ours, this will in any way stifle discussion or creativity....my main complaint about the other forums is that a few gurus dominate them, having the last word on all subjects, with no further discussion solicited....that's not the case here IMO....we have some of the best and brightest minds in this hobby and there is no one determining authority on any subject...

And so it goes....LAST POST TO TOP!

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
(No, this isn't an anti TNN message, ya know they say "We've got Pop?")

I hated it. I have my messages thing set to 40 per page.... I just look for the little star thingy (far left edge) to see where new messages are at. They show up so easily now. I had at least one message get shuffled so far down because no one replied to it, that it got lost. Only one response. Meanwhile, messages like "How do I get pictures" or "name changes" keep going to the top.

I say keep it no pop to top. Maintain the order they were posted in.

Rich
----
'66, 302-4bbl, Granada disk brakes, etc, etc...

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Do you prefer 20 threads on "how to get my picture working"
with 5 threads on mustang tech in between them

OR

One thread on "photos" that hovers near the top for several days
then floats to the back when everyone who needs to see it is
done with it with 24 threads on mustang tech that get answered
replaced as time goes on bringing even more threads into the 25 count?

Really think about this...

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT
Please bring back last post to top!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I like it the way it is. I read most of my answers to old post through my email anyway, beside we can now link to old posts to bring them to the top.
click the link below to go to an old post I made.
I think I fixed this one

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bluefinger on 03/07/01 10:37 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I'd rather not have posts lost because there are certain ones that hover at the top. I feel one of mine was lost because of that reason.

Besides, if you have those "new message" markers on the side, it's easy to find where the new ones are. Much easier than the old board. If my message is posted at time 1, and 4 messages are replied to, over and over, for several days, my mesage would get pushed down. After those messages don't get replied to, my message DOES NOT go back up. It stays behind those other messages, effectively getting lost. Messages won't move up and down the list, they only move up. They only will move down AFTER messages get put on top of the stack. So if a message gets posted before a string of replies, it could easily get lost.

With the system now, a message will stand, no matter. If might be threaded around 4 messages with 20 replies, but it'll be in the same area. It will be seen. Otherwise, it might not.

Rich
----
'66, 302-4bbl, Granada disk brakes, etc, etc...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
OK, I see what you mean, try this one!

Click here

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com