Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent several hours today under Trouble (better than being in trouble) working on the chassis and checking out the condition. I tried to visualize different colors under there and finally made a decision.

Black won't give me the contrast I want with the driveshaft, subframes, and traction bars, and the Sapphire Blue will hide the blue of the rear axle and shock absorbers.

So, what other color is on Trouble? Gold! I'm going to have an epoxy primer mixed up in a dark gold that's a few shades darker than the Hertz Gold (so dirt won't show as much). I'll use the new airbrush that I'm getting to paint it section by section, which won't be easy, but it's the only way I can do it. The rear part of the chassis actually is ready for color now so I may start with that just to see how it will look.

I started on the driver's side today, sanding the floor pan and using a Dremel with a wire brush on it. The primer actually shined up a bit. I also dug in and removed the old sealant along the pinch weld as some of it was chunking out on its own. Once I've cleaned that area up really well, I'll use some brush-on paintable sealer and redo the work. Oh, I also put a little Metal2Metal on that little dent and on ne of the welds for the traction bars to start smoothing them out. I cleaned the welds first with the wire brush and they look great.

As part of this project, I'm going to paint the subframes, driveshaft, and traction bars with Eastwood's glossy Chassis Black. I've noticed the paint is a little scratched so why not improve on it. I'll do all that painting before the floorpans because it will be easier to tape them off than the floor.

Any other suggestions or advice on how to proceed with this project? I've never had to do this on my coupe because the chassis was fine. So, this is all new to me. I don't want to forget anything or leave a step out.

And, yes, I'm preserving the drips, runs, bubbles, etc., that are under there. They just will be a different color when I'm done. :winkgrin:

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
OK, I'll be brave and say it. Don't put the gold on it or it might look like it was pimped out.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I hate to say it, but I agree with Olddusty on this one.

Joe

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
DITTO! :no: :no: :no:

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I'm not talking "pimp" gold, I'm talking an antique dark gold, nonmetallic primer, which is very similar to what is on my coupe. It looks great on the coupe and my coupe actually has quite a bit of metallic in the color, more than what would be on the fastback.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
I believe most epoxy primers cannot be tinted except with other colors of epoxy primers in that brand. I know that's a fact for DPXXLF, but maybe there are other primer brands that can be tinted.

Personally, I liked your suggestion of the "grey" found on Murphy. That would be a nice neutral color to offset everything else you have. I don't like the gold idea.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I believe most epoxy primers cannot be tinted except with other colors of epoxy primers in that brand. I know that's a fact for DPXXLF, but maybe there are other primer brands that can be tinted.

Personally, I liked your suggestion of the "grey" found on Murphy. That would be a nice neutral color to offset everything else you have. I don't like the gold idea.
I agree. If you don't want to go with the body color, red oxide or black, the dark grey might be a nice option that would compliment the blue as well as the mechanical parts. It needs to be decorated like a car, not a living room. ::

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Oh, am I glad I'm not the only one who has time to visit the vmf on Christmas Day.

What ever happened to the "it's your car, do what you like" comments when someone asks for opinion?

Looking your Laurie's cars, I am not ready to argue with anything you suggest.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I have to say, that I am going through a similar debate with myself in as far as what to do with the colour on the undercarriage of our 'stang.

Right now it is zero-rust safety blue. I am absolutely not going to paint it black.

I got a very reasonable price for the body shop to spray the undercarriage with the body colour. only problam is, that I have to virtually mock up everything, do all bolt holes, welds etc, and then take it all apart, then get it sprayed.

If I have touch ups, then it's going to be a pain.

Two other options are to leave it zero rust blue (easy to touch up, but no where near the final paint colour)
or to use a spary bomb colour that is close to the final body colour and blast the undercarriage by hand.

any way if it's an option for you this is the zero rust colour chart which is not exactly the same as what comes out of the can.

It could be finished off with a satin clear coat.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
You can always put a Mirror finish on there... that way when you are underneath the car, you can see what is laying around you without turning your head... Drop a bolt? No problem! just look up!

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
It took my car 35 years to get that authentic oily greasy look and I'm not going to pimp it now with no god damn stinkin' mirror finish!

:rofl:

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
OK, I guess I'll ask it. Why are you just now deciding to do the bottom??? :: After all that work on this car, I thought the bottom would have been done first! Oh, well.

Anyway, I think you should re-think the body color under there. I like the consistancy of that look, rather than a dramatic contrast that the gold will give. And I would put the rear axle back to black. Personally, I never liked painted rear ends on anything but street rods. IMHO!! Perhaps painting the rear axle housing gold will get the contrast that you want with the Sapphire Blue bottom!

Also, I would take off as much harware as I could, rather than taping and trying to spray around it. I know that sounds like a lot of extra work, but I think the results would look better in the end!
Good luck in what ever decision you make.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I wanted to do the bottom to begin with, but some things were beyond my control on this car. When people are helping you, you have to give on some things. I thought for a long time that I would be satisfied with the red lead oxide primer, but I'm not anymore.

The engine and transmission will be coming out next month, so this is the time to do it. There is no hardware to take off really, the parts I have to work around are welded on, other than the driveshaft. I've decided to replicate the top of the car on the bottom, which is what I wanted to do originally. Sure it will be a lot of work, but what else do I have to keep me out of trouble? :lol:

A gold axle? Now that would be pimping the car. It will stay blue. :winkgrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts