Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may recall, last week my engine sucked a shim into the carb ending up in the #4 cylinder. SEE: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=forum&Number=779966&page=20&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Despite my protestations and initial disgust, I've not given up yet on this hobby. This morning I disconnected the power steering setup, removed the oil pan and got the #4 piston out. Fortunately, it looks like the cylinder wall is okay. Out of caution, I'm going to replace the valves, piston, rings and rod bearings; the machine shop will see if I screwed up the connecting rod.

For those interested in seeing what happens when a small piece of metal gets sucked into a big block, I have a few pics at my Yahoo briefcase: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/xcode390 Go to the briefcase, open the My Documents folder, then open the Doofus pics folder.

As an aside, I do appreciate the many words of support and encouragement from VMF'ers after last week's culminating event that really discouraged me. Also, I must be learning something. It took me about an hour to do all of the above, even though I've never messed around with steering components. I fully expected a whole day of cussing to get everything out.

Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Murphy lurks everywhere, so don't get discouraged. Best thing you can do is to have a plan, execute it and then double check everything was done correctly (the quality control check). This cuts down the visits by Murphy but doesn't eliminate him from getting you once in awhile. You're not alone!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
That totally sucks! Not that I did that myself earlier this year or anything...
Oh well, it was a good opportunity to see how the bearings were wearing on my new 347.
I had to buy a new piston and intake valve. Also bought a new rod just for insurance.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I forget who mentioned this a week or so back but the only certain thing there is in restoring a car is that "what can go wrong will go wrong" and that any project, times the amount of time you intended to spend on it by 2, 3 or 4 and you get the outcome of the project. Stick with it, Im in the same boat with finding misc. missing parts for my 68. It's a bear, but take it one day at a time and with a little luck and some help from the Mustang gods, we'll all come out alive ::

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
You have an FE engine, my condolences. A friend and I have been rebuilding a Thunderbird 428 and the FE design is a real PITA. I fully expect this engine to fail when I try to break it in, my faith is so low.

However, I'm glad you are sticking it out and working it through. When my 428 craps out during cam break in, I'm just going to dump it in the field an let it rust I hate the damn thing so much. No engine should be so hard to put together and put out so little power.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
607 Posts
I don't see anything there that will prevent the car from running fine. Pistons and heads don't have to be pretty. A little carbon will cover all that right up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts