Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 mustang notch back with a 2.3l and a 5 speed stick my question is Im looking to do anengine swap and put a 5.0L in it will the 5 speed stanny be up to the new hourse power. Inow it might be cheaper to go out and by a 5.0L but Ive put in a wack load of dough in to the dody and interior in mods. any insits to this would be helpful Robb

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
If you have never been on www.corral.net then do a search of the forums for swap info before asking it. They are great guys on there with tons of info but have a low tolerance for repetitive questions. But that is THE place to find the info you need.

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT
Please bring back last post to top!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The 2.3 tranny has a lower geared 1st gear, and will be a blast for about a day untill you blow it all over ther road. It is the same as the 5.0 tranny, but much weaker internally. It should bolt up, though you may need to swap bell housings.

Someone please buy my Ski Doo!
68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Note though you can use an auto trans 5.0 brain box for a 5.0 with a T-5 but not the other way around.
And I also concur the T-5 for the 4 cylinder has an different input shaft size. I believe the 4 cylinder has a smaller rear (smaller than the 7.5 like the I6 and V8 '79-'84 'Stangs had). So grab an 8.8" rear while you're looking for parts.

One last thing, the '87 - '93s V8s had 11" front brakes so you'll want them too.

Hope that gives you enough for a start,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could sell off everything you've put into that hing so far and join the rest of us in yesteryear with a classic instead!?!
Half-kidding...
T

1966 C-Code Convertible, 59 Edsel Villager
Charlotte, NC
New Cars Have No Soul.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts