Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Ive found a pair of black leather racing seats on ebay that I want to put in my 68. Thing is theyre for an import so i know that there is no way the tracks are gonna line up correctly. How hard is it to put the tracks from the original 68 seats on seats other than original mustang ones. Id know on some seats, like some of hte mid 90s mustang ones it was just a matter of drilling 2 new holes for i believe the back pegs. BUt will there be anything to drill into on seats that dont fit up at all? ANy fabrication ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
502 Posts
I picked up some seats from a Mitsubishi sprots car that I thought would be good to use. These seats had a far superior track system than the original mustang, and the drivers seat (right hand for us Aussies) had power height/tilt adjustment on the lower seat section, so I opted to keep the original track system.

The floor of the mitsubishi is obviously not level, as the four mounting points for the seat runners were on 4 different levels. As such, I had to fab up a bracket to fit between the seat mounting holes and the 65 Mustang seat riser holes (wanted to be able to drop the original seats back in if I ever wanted). Another view

As the seats themselves are a little thicker than the original seats, this additional bracket made the seats just that bit taller, such that leg clearance under the steering wheel was an issue. As I was replacing the floors, I lowered the seat riser by 1.5 inches (moved it back a bit too). Tack welded the risers in, test fit the seats, leg clearance was good, but head clearance (as I'm 6'2") was an issue - had to lower the risers by an additional half inch or better.

Anyway, if you are using the original mustang seat tracks, you may need to fab up some sort of a bracket to adapt the original seat track mounting points to suit the mustang tracks. If your seats are like mine, you'll find the attachement point to the seat is way up under the surrounding material/plastic surrounds, so you'll need a bracket to lower the attachment points so that the seat will be able to clear your tracks...if you follow that??

Hope this is of some help...

j.b.

·
Administrator
13,032 Posts
I put some 93 seats in my 65 FB and LOVE them! They are very comfortable. You might want to change your mind about what seats to put in. They were a very simple installation.
Stan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts