Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new member here. I read the search threads on late model seats but still have some questions. Are any year ranges better than others for best fit? Since height is the main issue, I know power seats are higher, but all the decent seats I've seen lately are power. Can they still be used without the motors? Anyone found a new way to mount the seats lower? Thanks, Ed

·
Administrator
13,023 Posts
I am about 6'1/2" and have '93 seats in my fastback. They give me plenty of headroom. I did not hook up the motors and they work fine. Mustangs Plus has an article about lowering the seats. It's a matter of cutting the floors out and rewelding new panels in, IIRC. As far as comfort, I would sit in a few you are thinking about and see what feels best to you.
Stan

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'll add my thoughts in case it helps you out.....I bought some headers from a guy in NorCal a couple of weeks ago who had probably the sweetest 66 I've seen - blown EFI 351W, roll cage, cross drilled brakes, Versailles rear end w/ discs, powder coated everything, custom gauge set up, AOD, roll cage, shaved door handles, power windows and locks - you name it he had it. He also had dyno'd 600hp out of his S-Trim Vortech powered beast.....it was nuts. He had late model Cobra seats with the power motors hooked up in his car and they fit well and he did not have to perform major mods, just some fiddling with the mounting points of the seat tracks . I had no height issues and I am 6 ft 1 tall. However, I did not find them too comfortable.....my recommendation is to spend the money on good aftermarket seats that come with a custom mounting bracket.......you can get really nice Flofit seats from National Parts Depot, and I've had some spirited runs behind the wheel of a Stang equipped with the Scat ProCar seats you'll see advertised in magazines. You can get them for under $600 for a pair and they are comfy good looking seats.

Shop for an aftermarket seat - you'll get a better quality seat for the same kind of $ outlay and won't have to worry about fitment issues. Mustangs Plus has a bunch of different aftermarket seats available too, some as low as $220 for Corbeau's. Check it out.

·
Administrator
13,023 Posts
The reason I went with the Mustang seats is that they were cheap ($20 for both!! with only a little tear in them) and they went in very easily. I believe the Corbeau's are $220 for one seat. I would bet that if you go with aftermarket one you'll be in the $400-500+ range when all is said and done.
Stan

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have 2001 Mustang seats in my 66. I can tell you it was a slight pain to install as the bottom of the seats (where the tracks mount) are not even and are different on the drivers and passengers side. I made some adapters to go between the seat and the 66 tracks. Before these I had 87 Mustang seats in the car. I can tell you the 01 seats fit much better. They sit flatter than the 87s so my head doesn't hit the headliner. I am 6'1" and a fairly big guy and the fit is great. This isn't the greatest pic but you can see how it looks/fits

http://home.earthlink.net/~gp2mff/pony/door/drpnld1.JPG

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Welcome, you should find lots of good help here, I got 98 gt seats...they were electric, but i did remove the motorized track and used the tracks off my originals. They sit a little higher, but if you lean the seats back your head won't rub, mine doesn't with the seat strait. they are leather seats,and are very comfortable. They cost 200 at the junkyard. To refurbish my originals would have been 500+ easy and I would have to do the work. Go late model mustang seats and you won't be dissappointed. I did alot of research on this site, there is mucho information...just sometimes a little hard to find in the database. try this search...in words to search for type...what kind of seats do you have....in the search options select "and" then select "all posts" in the date range and it should bring up a good thread....it had some good pics. good luck, TP

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Follow the leading auction site for a few weeks and you'll find some deals on Recaro seats. I just bought a used pair of very comfortable (at least on my living room floor, as I haven't had time to install them yet) Recaros for $440, including shipping from Calif. to N.C. Three years ago I bought a pair of Corbeau A4s in a group buy, but they were too narrow for me. The used Recaros I bought are much better than the new Corbeaus were in terms of materials and comfort. Plus, they cost less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts