Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a restoration on my 65 mustang. Am wondering if anyone can tell me if a late model mustang (90's) manual trans will fit without modification into a 65. Am wanting to switch over the late model motor trans and rear end to the 65. Seems like a reasonably priced idea. Thanks or any input.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Dimples
3,507 Posts
You have a lot of research to do, as there are a lot of ways to skin this cat. It is entirely do-able though.

My 66 has a 91 5.0 block, 85 T5 trans and an 01 Explorer 8.8 rear end.

This doesn’t take much modification of the car (if any), but it does take plenty of swap parts, potentially new systems (like clutch actuation) and in the case of the rear end, a 3” chop and weld and a new axle.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Am wanting to switch over the late model motor trans and rear end to the 65. Seems like a reasonably priced idea.
Which late model motor? If you are talking about a late 90's 4.6 Modular you are talking big bucks as the shock towers have to go away. If you are talking about an early 90's 5.0 Windsor you are talking about a basic engine swap.

·
Registered
55 Posts
IIRC 1993 was the last year for a T-5 to fit in a 1965 mustang without doing any modifications. I believe in 1994 they changed the input shaft length on the transmission and in doing so you'd have to get an adapter plate for it to work? And likely trim up part of your shifter lever hole in the floorboard. Anything from 1985-1993 will work, a World Class T-5 is typically preferred by most. Does yours have an ID tag on it? Should be able to look it up that way if it does or take some measurements if it doesn't to determine what year you've got.

·
Registered
33,886 Posts
I am starting a restoration on my 65 mustang. Am wondering if anyone can tell me if a late model mustang (90's) manual trans will fit without modification into a 65. Am wanting to switch over the late model motor trans and rear end to the 65. Seems like a reasonably priced idea. Thanks or any input.
Thanks,
Steve
Just remember that "modern" doesn't always equal "better". Sure, you could install an Explorer 5.0 from a 2000, a V-6 T-5 from a 2010 and a Fox-body 8.8. Will it drive, ride and handle like a late-model Mustang? Nope. That Explorer 5.0 is not, from a technical standpoint, much different than the original 289, the 2nd through 5th gear ratios and spacing in the T-5 that different from running a Toploader with a taller rear gear, and the 8.8 is nowhere near as versatile as the 9-inch or, IMHO even a properly set-up 8-inch.

I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T do what you're thinking of doing.... it's really no different than what we did when we were younger.... take a 50 year old car (which was, back then, from the twenties and early thirties) and install modern (for the day) components. They were (and still are) called "Street Rods". What you're proposing is just the modern-day equivalent. Just recognize that when you're done the "modern" components may not transform it into something it isn't.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Swapping in any late model parts will require some minor modifications.
It would help to know exactly what trans is currently in the car.
The 87-95 mustang T5 is a good option. Whichever year you pull it from be sure get the matching bell housing.
I think the 87-93 bell housing is best. A 94-95 T5 will work with it but you will have to swap the input shaft.
If the car isn’t already a manual transmission you will need a clutch pedal and clutch linkage setup. Options for linkage include factory z-bar, cable, and hydraulic.

Also, some of the 96+ V6 mustangs have a T5. But they also have the longer 94-95 input shaft. They will also likely NOT have a provision for a cable driven speedometer. Most of those newer models used an electronic speedo. And the V6 bell housing won’t work with a V8.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I think you need to be more specific as to what transmission you are talking about and why you want it:

This particular rabbit hole can go very deep indeed. I am using a 2012 6-speed trans...but it required a few ::cough:: "minor" modifications.

That being said, there are plenty of later transmissions such as the T5, the AOD, and quite a few others that don't require tunnel modifications

1 - 8 of 8 Posts