Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've replaced all my lifters, pushrods, 2 bad rocker arms, one rocker shaft. None of that helped alleviate the tapping. I took off my oil pan and visually inspected my wrist? pins and they looked ok. My cam lobes look ok too. I am fairly certain now, that it's a bad valve. That is odd since less than a year ago I had a valve job done. The machine shop told me it would be best to run it until I really needed to do something about it, then get another valve job done. They also said it might be because (and I've verified) that the height of the valve stems are not all the same. Maybe the shop that did the job assumed I had adjustable rockers. That doesnt make pure sense to me as I round-robin'ed longer & shorter pushrods through to no effect. But the shop said maybe one valve has a height setting that doesnt completely close and just taps there.

I'll rant a little about not being able to login here. I don't know why I can't and it's mighty annoying. I reverted to IE5.0 and still no good. Is there a webmaster or system admin for the VMF that can give me a little help?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Have you considered the fuel pump as a source of the tapping? Get a mechanics stethescope and keep listenting arround the engine, if it is valve you should be able to figure out which one from the outside of the engine by listening to the intake and/or the the exhaust manifold. A pressure test might also show something.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
valve tapping usually is caused by crankshaft clearances getting too big....and one bearing can be too worn, and yet the guage reads good oil pressure-especially on the 302/289s..their guage is at the beginning of the system

bearing in mind some exhaust leaks can sound the same

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Still tapping to the oldies, eh?? *G*

Can't recall...have you tried killing cylinders to see if the tapping goes away? Like pulling different plug wires?

We've ruled out piston slap, yes?

Unless you've got a verifiable loose rocker, I can't imagine minor stem height differences being a problem, but one never knows...

Re: logging in...have you tried blowing out all your VMF cookies and starting from scratch? I recall, as I hadn't used IE to access the VMF for a couple months (been using NS), that I had some cookie problems initially when getting back in recently. Blew out the cookies, logged in, and no problems since...

Sorry to hear you're still having troubles!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts