Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be the first to tell you I don't claim to be an engine rebuilder. I've rebuilt one engine in my entire life and that was almost 25 years ago. So I bought several good engine books and have studied them and questioned people about things to gain the knowledge I have.

This little 302 project is starting to tax my pea brain though, as I clear one hurdle, another pops up. And I'm not rebuilding it, though I probably should, and it would be easier actually. A zero dollar budget and the fact the engine runs good with 80,000 miles fits my plan for cleaning it up and re-gasketing, painting it, then putting it in the stang. Simple project right? WRONG!

The 302 is out of an 81 t-bird. So I had to change the oil pan from the split drain type to the conventional front sump. Which meant I had to retrofit the proper oil pickup to the new oil pump becuase the original pickup pulled oil from the rear sump. That was easy enough. Then the original dip stick was on the drivers side in the rear, so that had to be relocated. A couple guys here on the forum suggested using an earlier model timing cover with the dipsitick tube mounted to it. I found one, cleaned it up and it fit! Easy enough, except I needed to drill a countersink out of a couple bolt holes at the bottom of the timing cover to allow for the placement of the alignment pins, which center the cover perfectly to the crank seal on the timing cover. Well, my countersinks were off about 1/32"-1/64". Its really hard to hold an uneven piece of metal in the drill press to get perfect holes. So I hope the timing cover is centered good enough the seal doesn't leak.

Latest challenge, though. And by far the biggest! The water pump and fan on this engine rotates the opposite direction of the engine itself!!! :: A nasty little discovery I read about in the engine rebuild book I'm using. (BTW, How to rebuild small block fords, by Tom Monroe HP Books is an excellent rebuild guide). If the engine rotates clockwise (?), the fan and pump rotate c-clockwise. I checked these two items out to verify.

A serpentine belt, driven off the crank pulley, runs accessories like the a/c and p/s pump, crosses back somehow to drive the fan, in the opposite direction. You can't use an old style water pump because the older crank pulleys won't bolt to the harmonic balancer.

Since I failed to take copious notes of the belt arrangement before pulling the engine, I'll have to investigate how to route the belt now to accomodate the direction change... :p

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,657 Posts
What? Every time you start messing with engines you step in hole? What are the casting numbers on this jewel. I hope I'm wrong but it may be you're working on the infamous "255". Not a 302 and not exactly a 5.0 either. It does use the 5.0 50 ounce imbalance though so it's not as simple as swapping balancers. You'll need a 5.0 balancer set up for early pulleys. I believe these only only available custom built. If you go with the TBird's setup, you'll have to use all the accessories including the AC compressor and smog pump. The only way around that is to buy the "eliminator"kits for 80's 5.0 Mustangs to bypass these. Not cheap.
Let us know what the casting numbers are on this engine before we get to wound up. Maybe it is a 302 and there won't be these problems.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, OK, OK guys...I kinda got my pant**s in an uproar! :eek: Or jumped the gun for lack of further research, or put the cart ahead of the horse....or I just don't know what I'm talking about when I post!! LOL!!!

As we are leaving on vacation tommorrow, I needed to put my mind to rest, so I drove down to the shop to take a second look. (SWMBO forbid any mustanging today as I am supposed to get ready for the trip! hehe! ::) So anyways, I think I'm wrong about the backward waterpump/fan direction... and so is Tom Monroe from HP Books!

The crank pulley has 3 sheaves, an inner sheave, middle sheave, and the outer serpentine sheave. To the best of my pea brained knowledge so far...The serpentine drives accesories ONLY. Middle sheave drives the power steering, and the inner sheave drives the water pump and alternator. I hooked the crank pulley on the balancer, the water pump to the timing cover and the fan pulley and fan to the water pump. A direct drive happens from the crank to the fan pulley. Because it is a v-belt, there is no way for it to to drive the water pump in an opposite direction of the engine rotation....unless its "x'd" like a figure 8, which you never see on car engines, but you do on farm equipment. Rule that one out! The only other way is to drive the fan pulley from the "top" of the v-belt, another impossiblity...v-belts don't work that way.

So,, because I didn't take notes when tearing the engine apart...If you stand at the front of the engine, place the fan there, it rotates clockwise. The same direction as the water pump.

Sorry to be so confusing....I need a vacation! ::

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a 302 GypsyR. I verified the numbers some time back. I think what Tom Monroe was eluding to in his rebuild book was that some '79 and later model SB's with serpentine accessory drives actually drive the water pump. Mine is V-belt driven and the serpentine belt drives other stuff, but not the water pump/fan. He was not real clear on the point, and I got confused, then panicked! :p

·
Just some guy
20,657 Posts
Good! I've seen the late 70's vbelt/serpentine belt combo on the "last of the 302's". Sounds like you're good then.
The engine rotates clockwise, the distributor counterclockwise.
I'd still like to know what the block numbers are though.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You'll need a 5.0 balancer set up for early pulleys. I believe these only only available custom built.

I was thinking the 50 in/oz. imbalance didn't come in a 302 until 1983.

·
Just some guy
20,657 Posts
1981. To our great annoyance this doesn't hold 100% true though. There are "late" 79 engines, "early" 81 engines and one or two other FoMoCo shenanigans to complicate things.

·
Registered
310 Posts
For Future reference.. the mid to late 70's 302's used 4 bolt V-groove pulleys.. So you can use them rather than getting the new balacers with 3 bolt setups..

AJ

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 81 302 has a four bolt crank pulley with two inner v grooves and the larger diameter outer serpentine groove. Looks like I won't need to use the serpentine part. The earlier crank pulleys I have also utilize the 4 bolt set up. I was hoping to retrofit one of them, but the bolt pattern is much too narrow on the old pulleys. I'll have to stick with this oddball one.

GyspyR::: I'll PM you the engine numbers...in about a week. We are crusin to Vegas and then Salt Lake City and the Heber City Car Show that Epperstang is putting on.

Anyways, that 81 block is an ideal candidate for the 351W heads since the block to head water ports match perfectly now, unlike the earlier blocks. It would cost the local shop here about $400 to shave the Windsor heads down to deal with the compression loss, and to harden the exhaust seats....I'll wait awhile for that. What I would like to do is find another 81 block, rebuild it for the 351W heads, add the appropriate heads,,,,,then the PAXTON supercharger!!!! :: :: Money talks right????!?!!?!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts