Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the leaf springs on my '65. Would I be an idiot to attempt this with only jack stands? Any hints from anyone who has done this would be greatly appreciated. I'm afraid of getting the car into an undriveable condition before finding out I'm in over my head.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Just use jack stands under the front of the rear frame or rockers and use a floor jack to unload the suspension to a neutral state. Just understand that those shackle bolts may be really rusty and need to be cut. It took me a bit of work the get the front ones out since you really can't drive them out. I would start with those and odnce they are out continue.

Also, do one side at a time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Usually the front spring bolts are the hardest ones to break loose however, I see your in CA so they will probably just fall apart with little to no effort. Back east with all the rust issues most times you have to cut one off.
Remember to use a penatrating oil like PB Blaster. It will make the bolts easier to loosen up.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I would suggest you start putting Penetrating oil on all the bolts involved, several days in advance, and apply liberally, and more than once! Than see if your front eye bolts are going to present a problem? In over your head? Not likely..... It's a pretty basic job. Just make sure to work Safe! Be certain, the pre-load is removed from the springs, prior to bolt removal! If you need to cut bolts? If using a cut-off disc as mentioned above, remember that it can throw a lot of sparks..... and your close to fuel?

After you get your car safely supported by Jackstands, and have removed your rear wheels.... support your rear axle with a floor jack, remove lower shock nuts, and loosen your U-bolts, leaving them attached by a few threads. now lower your jack, till the spring stack appears loose between the perch, and spring plate! You've now removed the Pre-load, and can begin with your spring removal. I suggest that you change one side at a time, as this will help stabilize the rear axel, and won't require it's removal. As mentioned above, it will probably require cutting the front eye bolt, as it will most likely be frozen into the bushing sleeve. Slip your cut-off disc, or Sawzall blade Between the mount, and spring! and begin cutting.......

Good Luck with your project!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I don't even bother with the bolts unless it's just easier. I give it one try with a PB soak and an impact. If I struggle, out comes the cut-off wheel. It's just not worth spending the afternoon fighting a bolt. I'd rather just buy a new one.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
If you haven't got a huge cutoff wheel, a sawzall and
a carbide blade works wonders. Failing that, a jigsaw
and a carbide blade works fine.....

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Easy enough to do...I would recommend 4 jack stands.

The problem with the front bolts isn't necessarily 'breaking them loose' it is that the bolt has usually rusted to the bushing sleeve so that even after you get a nut off the bolt will not physically push out. If the leafs on the car are original or looks 20+ years old don't waste time and just cut the bolt out.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. I do have four stands I'm planning to use, just not sure how to tell when all the tension is off the spring. Unfortunately, my water pump pulley disintegrated on my way home from work, so the springs will have to wait until (hopefully) next weekend.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Thanks all. I do have four stands I'm planning to use, just not sure how to tell when all the tension is off the spring. Unfortunately, my water pump pulley disintegrated on my way home from work, so the springs will have to wait until (hopefully) next weekend.
I'm planning on doing my rears in a few weeks as well. I had the same question. Once the car is on stands, and you jack up the rear, how do you know when the tension's off the leafs? Being in NJ(car came from NY) I was going to give one shot at removing those bolts(after days of PB Blaster) then go for the cut off method... Sorry to "steal" the thread. Thanks, George

·
Registered
637 Posts
If the rear spring has no load on it (the wheels are not in contact with the ground) you have removed the tension from the springs.

Bust out your cutting wheel and saw away..

Depends on your situation but I always start with the forward spring eye first.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I should mention that if you are leaving the rear in the car, you might want to make sure it isn't attached to the spring before you start cutting. :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i did the springs in my car with 2 jackstands and a jack. i put the jackstands under the rear torque boxes and then removed the shackle bolts and took the rear end out. then i cut out the front bolts and replaced the springs. put the rear back in lifted it up bolted the shackles back in and bolted everything in place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts