Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Interesting, I've never heard of anyone snapping a shock shaft. That would be the first issue to address, a binding shock could definitely cause oversteer and a harsh ride.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
My personal favorite is the adjustable Watts Link since moving CG (Center of Gravity) is a simple ten minute adjustment, a tight car that refuses to rotate can quickly be loosened up to rotate easily. And you don’t really need to understand anything but the very basics.

I am curious which direction e.g. Up or Down makes the car rotate? I had someone tell me up = more rotation so I adjusted mine in several stages ending with it all the way up. It seemed to help but I wouldn't say it was dramatic. I would like to try running looser in the rear this season. More oversteer, I was going to stiffen my rear Shocks today some...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
A watts link moves the rear roll center. Raising the pivot raised the roll center and loosens the rear.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Something seems wrong

I am curious which direction e.g. Up or Down makes the car rotate? I had someone tell me up = more rotation so I adjusted mine in several stages ending with it all the way up. It seemed to help but I wouldn't say it was dramatic. I would like to try running looser in the rear this season. More oversteer, I was going to stiffen my rear Shocks today some...
To stiffen the rear shocks could help and play with tire pressure, you’ve probable done that by now, so what was your result and are the dampers single or double adjustable?

On the Watts - Sounds like something is not right; when you installed the Watts Link, the left and right links should have been on the same horizontal plane to start (I use a digital level just because I own one and I like being sure); the propeller should lean a few degrees at an angle. This would be neutral, to raise the propeller one notch should loosen the car (over steer) by raising the cars CG or Roll Center and going down then tightens (understeer) the car. One notch is generally noticeably, two for sure is a big change. If you went all the way to the top with the propeller and didn’t notice a very big change you are either driving the corner way too slow or you have other setup issues.

I hate to hijack the thread, but: What front suspension do you have and how big a sway bar?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
To stiffen the rear shocks could help and play with tire pressure, you’ve probable done that by now, so what was your result and are the dampers single or double adjustable?

I hate to hijack the thread, but: What front suspension do you have and how big a sway bar?
I have messed with tire pressures as my sole tuning effort, never messed with shocks. THey are classic Konis single adjustable. 1" sway bar. Couple of years ago, I set the rears to 1/4 - 1/3 from full soft.
I think I found the issue today. I pulled the front shocks as I remember that they were set very stiff and found them set to high. One of the first times I took the car to Sears Point raceway with the Shelby club, a guy who said he set up a vintage racer there and set my front shocks for me. I just cut them back to half way which should change things dramatically and losen the rear up. If its too tail happy, I'll start dropping the Watts, hoping that gives me more oversteer. I want to try running loose this season...

21 - 25 of 25 Posts