Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that what that bolt is called ... anyway I'm putting new leaf springs on. Trying to get the old bolt and bushing out of the front of the old leaf spring so I can take the old leaf spring off. I got the rear shackles off but the front bolt is stuck TIGHT!

Any suggestions? How have you guys taken them out?
Brian

1965 Mustang 2+2
1970 Bronco

·
Registered
607 Posts
Did you unhook the shocks? If so spray some lube on there and let it soak. I changed mine about 3 mos. ago and I guess I was lucky mine came right out.

G

·
0 Posts
the other post is right. you have to really soak them down with penetrating fluid.... we did a couple of times for about a week before we did it.... they came out easily....

a 1/2 an impact wrench and swival joint will also make it easier.

65 pony from ground up, inline 6 (son's car),
66 Red Convertible, 289(dad's car)

G

·
0 Posts
If you can't get the bolt out here is the way I got mine out. Forget about using a reciprocating saw. Try this. I used a high speed drill which turns 3600 rpm. I bought a 7 1/4 in. metal chop saw blade for my skill saw. I then mounted it on my drill using a adaptor from a polishing wheel. Then I cut the bolt out. It worked pretty good.
You may be able to bang it out but if it won't come out then cutting it out is probably the best way. I tried to bang it out and ended up bending the area on the frame where the bolt goes through. Anyway, good luck.

Adrien.

65 GT Coupe, dismantled waiting for resto.
67 Restomod Coupe, in assy.
69 Mach 1 S code, SWMBO say don't take it apart!
91 5.0 LX HB, driver.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1594363&a=12146434&p=45590488.jpg

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've done this on several cars. Only once did we use a saw on one bolt, and that was awful. Soak it in Liquid Wrench, or whatever brand makes the biggest claim for their penetrating oil, for at least a day. Then, use a wrench or impact to remove the bolts.

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=46006997&Sequence=0&res=high.JPG

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
When I rebuilt my Shelby, had the same problem. Had a friend come over with a hot wrench and it took about 30 seconds to burn both bolts out and drop the springs. Sometimes that is what it takes.

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
233 Posts
The bolt can seize (rust) to the metal sleeve which is integral to the rubber bushing. The only way that I was able to remove this bolt was cutting it off. I used a sawzall with a tungsten blade and a right angle grinder with a cut-off wheel. The sleeve is hardened steel and it may need persuasion!

David
Mountain Dew & Donuts, because breakfast is the most important meal of the day!
'66 Coupe 289 2V done for son
'70 Coupe 351W 4V (She Bear), doing for me!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The first thing I did was to cut the spring off at the eye so as to not have 4 feet of spring to wrestle around. I used a 4" electric grinder. I then cut the eye longways (parrell with the floor) on two sides 180' apart. Used a screwdriver to pry the eye loose from the bolt/bushing. Now all I have left is the bolt. Used the grinder again to cut the bolt in half, and presto, pulled out both pieces. It took about 30 min. per side

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Carrot

·
Registered
814 Posts
I had to deal with this, too. Did all of the tricks of soaking in penetrating spray, heating with a torch, cursing, praying, pleading... etc. But, eventually it came down to crawling under there with a reciprocating saw, and cutting through the bolt and sleeve. This took a while, and several saw blades, but it's done. Just be prepared if you have to do this. It's worse than it sounds.

1965 289 Hardtop
MCA #45799
Mississippi Coast Mustang Club

1 - 9 of 9 Posts