Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I think a picture is emerging here. I'll bet your spindles are of the same era. Was your car originally a 6 cylinder and now a V8?

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
The 64-66 axle tube size was smaller than 67-70. The plates are not interchangeable, you have to use the plates and U bolts that go with the tube size you have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ylexot, You must be psychic. It was originally a 6 but someone somewhere converted it. I rescued it from a guy who was going to junk it because he couldn't figure out a stumble during acceleration. This is my first mustang and I didn't know squat about them but I didn't pay alot for the car and love a challenge so here I am. I've had it for about 5 years now and the rust just got too bad so it's rebuild time.

22GT, Do you got the tube dimensions or another way to id the rear end? Mine doesn't have the tag anymore.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Too easy. This is a 64-66 style. See how the axle tube necks down halfway out? 67-up stays almost that same large diameter all the way to the wheel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
22GT,
Excellent. Thanks mine is straight out to the end without the taper. One more mystery solved.
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts