Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I almost changed the leaf springs on my 65 Vert, but bailed out at the last second...... I have all the new parts in hand and got everything off except the front leaf spring bolt. Like everyone else who has posted about this in the past, my bolt was/is frozen into the bushing and wouldn't budge out. I even borrowed a friends Sawz-all, but didn't have the guts to cut the bolt out since it didn't look like I had enough clearance to manage it......so I put it all back together and will have humbly go to a spring shop to have them replaced......

Anyone else ever chickened out? Mike Pellicciotti

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ah, come on...jump into it with both feet......You ain't going to let a couple of little bolts whip you, are you......
I don't blame you, at all....If I knew a shop to trust, I would pay someone to change mine.....I have been putting it off for a while.....

G

·
I did this on my 67, but I used a brass drift and a mallet and drove out the bolt with no trouble. Of course, out here in SoCal there's zero road salt and little rust.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My son used a sawzall on the right spring front bolt; He then refused to do the left spring bolt. I soaked that bolt with some super penetrant then unscrewed it the next day. Let's hear it for old age and cunning!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
never, ever, ever, ever,ever,ever will i change rear springs again. need i say more? framerail.torque boxes,if i have to, did i mention i will never change rear springs again. later.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Yikes! I get to look forward to mine one day. I'm going to use the heat wrench and burn em off!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
188 Posts
i just used a 12" socket wrench extension, placed one end on the front eye bolt, and hammered the bolt out with a big hammer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts