Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to say thanks for all the reply's reference the Pertronix Ignitor, your comments were a great help! My next project is to replace my old worn out leaf springs. My '65 coupe is stock. I have read up on the various types of springs out there ie: 4 leaf, 5 leaf, 1' lower. 1" inch higher and stock height. Not looking to do any hot-roding just want a quality, performance ride and a fair price. What is the best way to go to accomplish this?

'65 289 2V 3-Speed Manual, Hardtop, Tri-Y, Flowmasters. Vintage Burgundy

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I use Mustangs Plus' mid-eye leaf spring set from Magna... you can check the whole suspension out at

http://www.mustangsplus.com

they're really the best, really.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think its possible to get yours "re-sprung" ive heard of it anyways. might be a good option, but i know nothing about it.

Corpus Christi TX

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I recently installed a set of Magna GT-rate rear leaf springs from Mustangs Plus. They raised the back of the car back to where it needed to be. When I finish the front end, I will use lowering blocks to get the rear to sit where I want it. If you go to a higher rate spring like a 5 leaf unit you will have a firm ride but it will be very firm and might shake your teeth loose over rough road. If your roads are all good it shouldn't be a problem. Many here like the five leaf units. The GT is firmer than stock and works very well in combination with the KYB gas shocks and adjustable anti-sway bars I use. The car is very civilized but corners flat. And the new springs reduce nose-dive in panic-stop situations. They are reasonably priced and don't take long to install assuming you can get the front attaching bolt off.

...modified '65 convertible...

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Mustangs Plus is great, aren't they?

Where do you live, Victor?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I got my leaf springs up rated from a 4 leaf to a 5 leaf and got the whole lot re-set at the same time by my local spring guy here.The rides a lot firmer now but anything over about 40mph, rides real well and handling is real nice.Have also tried out a combonation of shocks aswell, and the bestest combonation i've come up with is Munroe airshocks,PLUMBED TO SEPARATE VALVES(to eliminate side to side,shock to shock air swelling) helps to stop body roll in other words, with only 45lbs of air in each side.
Good luck,

65,289,C4, lemans red

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when utilizing lowering blocks for the rear, aren't you
changing the pinion angle? just something to think
about before you have unwanted drivetrain problems.

Rubelle
65 2+2, 289 (early A code), c/r toploader, magna suspension, centerline convo pros

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
You have what I should have done. I had Monroes with one valve. Now I have KYBs. I will sell the Monroes with free advice of separate valves. Thanks for your pressure figure, I can quote give that as a starting point.

Door handle first when cornering

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Canadian Mustang (has USA locations) has an excellent leaf spring kit with 5 leaf spings, just get the normal eye since mid/reverse eye lower the car.

------------------------------
1969 Mach 1 ( M-Code )
1978 Ghia V8
------------------------------

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I am in Northern California. One must watch Mustangs Plus. Yes, they are good but their QA isn't always good. For example, when I bought the leaf springs each one had a poly anti-squeak pad broken off. They should never had shipped them like that. Once they replaced the springs all was okay. Regarding pinion angle, yes, it will change but I don't think the angle will chage very much. Before the new leaves, the rear was down pretty far because of the weak original springs. I don't plan to drop it that far. Good point though.

...modified '65 convertible...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts