Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was driving home and hit a red light. While waiting for it to change a guy pulled up next to me and said the pony was leaking water. So after I got home I checked but didnt see anything. I didnt see any stains in the morning either. I checked the motor and tranny oil and their good, so is the radiator. What else should I check? I remeber the only odd thing I heard yesterday was after I turned it off I heard a trickling noise inside the the block but nothing was leaking.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Do you have AC? Maybe it was condensation from using the AC.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The phrase "Your Pony is leaking water" is a pick up line made famous in the shower rooms of Prisons. No wonder you didn't find any water. The dude just thought you were cute!
Sorry...I couldn't resist. ::

·
Registered
660 Posts
It was either coming out of the overflow tube...that runs down from your radiator cap ,and then down the radiator side...or you have a hose, radiator, heater etc that is leaking, most likely near a clamp. It only leaks once the engine water temp and pressure gets hot. Look for small puddles on the intake manifold area near the T-stat and water pump housing. BTW make sure its not leaking from the water pump weep hole. Check for leaks with the engine running and hot. If the pump is leeking from the weep hole,its time for a new pump.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
That does sound odd you didn't find any evidence of a leak. If you run any mix of anti-freeze and water, there should be some residual water on the lower radiator support, hoses or in the little pockets on top of the timing gear cover.

When your engine has completely cooled off, check the radiator water level.

Good luck!

Dean T

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
That does sound odd you didn't find any evidence of a leak. If you run any mix of anti-freeze and water, there should be some residual water on the lower radiator support, hoses or in the little pockets on top of the timing gear cover.

When your engine has completely cooled off, check the radiator water level.

Good luck!

Dean T

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did you recently fill or top off your radiator? I had a leak after I reinstalled my radiator, and filled it with antifreeze. I discovered it was coming from the overflow hose. Must have filled it too full for the pressure. When the amount got to the correct level it was ok. That was 6 months ago and it hasn't leaked since. Check it with the engine warm to operating temp. Be careful, remember they can burn you.

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts