Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't driven the Mustang in a while and today when I was gonna wash it, I realized, I HAD NO BRAKES! So after have the crap scared outta me, I put the car back in its spot I some checked the car very quick. It seems the front passenger side brake is leaking from somewhere behind the caliper or some where else in the system. When I would brake I could hear a "PSSS" from what I'm pretty sure is air in my brake lines too. I made sure that the Master Cylinder had brake fluid, and it did. So what do you guys think it is? How easy is it to fix? What needs to be fixed? And, if I was to take it to a shop (my godfather's shop, so he's a bit nicer than if I was any ol' customer) how much would they charge me?

Thanks!

PS: If this isnt enough info, let me know what I need to check, I'll check it, and post it later. THANKS AGAIN!

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
Sounds like the caliper piston seal let go! Pull the caliper & check!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm working on my brakes right now. The single rear brake hose needed to be replaced, so I thought I'd also replace the front hoses and the front pads. I'm no trained mechanic, so I've searched on brake items in this forum and started. I'm sure you will also be able to do the job yourself. Your problem can be the caliper seal, but why not the (30 year old ?) brake hose. After replacing the hoses and pads and bleeding the brakes my car braked fine. But (there's my inexperience!) the front brakes did not free up well enough. So now I've also bought a new alignment set and reconditioned calipers, which I should have done rightaway with 30 year old brakes. I will install them next weekend. Let me know if you need more information, because in my opinion with some knowledge brakes are not too difficult to work on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts